PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa's No 6

David Christopher
12-16-2009, 6:50 PM
Awhile back dad gave me a few of my Grandpa's old planes, I finally got around to restoreing this number 6. I used mohawk satin black for the body and lace wood for the tote and knob ( man that stuff is hard ) the blade was sharpened to 8000 and leather honed...sole and sides are flat, didnt need any work......whada ya think ?

Stephen Reid
12-16-2009, 7:00 PM
What no shavings?:eek: Seriously though very nice job, I love the lacewood knob and tote.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2009, 7:12 PM
That is pretty. Only thing that could make it look any better is to have a before picture for comparison.

BTW, don't pay any attention to what others say about a #6 not being any good for anything. I use both of mine.

The best thing about others not liking them is it makes the price better for thems that wants one.

jim

Bruce Page
12-16-2009, 7:19 PM
David, it looks great. I love the lacewood!

gary Zimmel
12-16-2009, 7:21 PM
Looks like you have a brand new #6 there David.
Great job!
Even nicer that it was you grandfathers....

Billy Chambless
12-16-2009, 7:21 PM
The best thing about others not liking them is it makes the price better for thems that wants one.

Exactly.

Now if we could just spread the notion that 4 1/2s were useless...

;)

Chris S Anderson
12-16-2009, 7:33 PM
I'm new to working only with handtools, and I proudly display my Lie Nielsen planes, though having something like you have both looks great and has an awesome connection with you. You should be proud. I hope my grandchildren value my tools the way you value your grandfather's.

Mike Henderson
12-16-2009, 8:05 PM
That looks great. And I love the lacewood knob and tote.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-16-2009, 8:13 PM
That's a beauty. I really ought to get on my Grandpa's hand me down (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56461&d=1170222502).

Richard Dooling
12-16-2009, 8:41 PM
Gorgeous! I need to look at alternate woods for knobs and totes. I am getting a little more into turning so now I can make the knobs match the totes.

I happen to like the #6 a lot. I plan on adding at least one more to my group. Then again I also like transitional planes (something of a misnomer), so I guess there's no hope for me.

David Gendron
12-16-2009, 9:10 PM
I'm with Jim on that one, i use my #6 all the time, I think it's better than a #5, you can use it for stock prep and to joint shorter boards etc etc... But I also think that a #8 is the best plane out there!!
BTW you did a great job on getting this #6 back to life!

David Christopher
12-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words, this was a fun restoration but it will be a user

Stan Suther
12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Very nice restoration! I've got oldies from #3 to #8, and for the scale of work I do, I often pick up my #6.

Dave Lehnert
12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Awhile back dad gave me a few of my Grandpa's old planes, I finally got around to restoreing this number 6. I used mohawk satin black for the body and lace wood for the tote and knob ( man that stuff is hard ) the blade was sharpened to 8000 and leather honed...sole and sides are flat, didnt need any work......whada ya think ?

Dumb question for the day.

"I used mohawk satin black" Mohawk makes paint? I have only seen clear top coats and toners from Mohawk. Where did you purchase it from?

David Christopher
12-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Dumb question for the day.

"I used mohawk satin black" Mohawk makes paint? I have only seen clear top coats and toners from Mohawk. Where did you purchase it from?

Dave, I'm a ( part time ) dealer for mohawk

yes, they have colors, oils shelacs and alot of other stuff. if you want a catalog PM me your address

Anthony Anderson
12-16-2009, 11:59 PM
David, That is beautiful. I love the lacewood. I had never paid attention to lacewood before, and never realized how nice the figure is, but I will have to use some now. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Bill

jerry nazard
12-17-2009, 6:29 AM
David,

Yikes that is beautiful. I'm with the others that like the #6 (and #3).

-Jerry

John Keeton
12-17-2009, 7:02 AM
David, Grandpa would be proud!! Great looking plane, and I really like the stylized look with the lacewood.

David Christopher
12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
thanks guys, I have a few more to restore, if I can remember I will take before, during and after pics

Thomas Kila
12-21-2009, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=David Gendron;1285269]... But I also think that a #8 is the best plane out there!!

+1...

Really nice restoration on the #6. The tote and handle are gorgeous!

Josh Bowman
12-21-2009, 9:38 AM
Dave,
I afraid I disagree with all the cudo's given toward your plane. Before you attempt to repair the job, I think you need some practice. I'm willing to make that obvious sacrifice and send you several of my old Stanley’s to improve your techniques. Because I really think you may have a developing knack here, I'll even pay the return postage and test the planes to aid you in your development.

Josh
;)

Ron Kellison
12-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Exactly.

Now if we could just spread the notion that 4 1/2s were useless...

;)

I've got a 5 1/4 and a 5 1/2 that I could be convinced to part with!

Regards,

Ron

David Christopher
12-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Dave,
I afraid I disagree with all the cudo's given toward your plane. Before you attempt to repair the job, I think you need some practice. I'm willing to make that obvious sacrifice and send you several of my old Stanley’s to improve your techniques. Because I really think you may have a developing knack here, I'll even pay the return postage and test the planes to aid you in your development.

Josh
;)

thanks Josh, most people would'nt make that sacrifice to help others..LOL

jerry nazard
12-21-2009, 4:49 PM
Dave,

Josh
;)

The humility,
The selflessness,
The compassion,
The free postage....

Mike Brady
12-21-2009, 5:24 PM
Stunning. My my look at lacewood as a tool handle. Nice craftsmanship as well.