PDA

View Full Version : Weird image started engraving

Garrick David
12-16-2009, 6:23 PM
I was cutting some business cards. When it finished the job the engraver started doing something weird...it started engraving something new over what had just completed.

I attached a picture. It started doing the same thing when I just cut one single card earlier today, but other than that it has never happened before.

I am using Corel X3. I check the image in wireframe view to see if anything was in the file, but nothing was out of place.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks,

Garrick

P.S. I have a Powersharp 16, built in 2007

Peter Meacham
12-16-2009, 7:20 PM
Garrick

I would look in the Object Manager and ensure you can account for every object that is in the manager.

I think there is something in the drawing that has the view (eyeball) disabled but has the print (printer) enabled.

Pete

Garrick David
12-16-2009, 7:40 PM
Garrick

I would look in the Object Manager and ensure you can account for every object that is in the manager.

I think there is something in the drawing that has the view (eyeball) disabled but has the print (printer) enabled.

Pete

Mystery solved. Thanks Pete.

It turns out I had a page 2 with round graphics on it. I never use pages in Corel so I did not think about it. When I opened object manager it had all these strange objects and when I looked closer it was on page 2.

Todd Suire
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Garrick,

Real nice business cards. Do you hand them out individually to special prospects, or do you place them in certain locations for people to take?

Todd

Dee Gallo
12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm glad you got this sorted out for now, but in the future: when you see something engraving that you don't want, especially if it's going to ruin your already done nice work (and your cards are very nice, BTW), just lift the lid and stop the laser from firing. Then, stop the job and figure out what happened. At least you won't have to regret losing all of your hard work and materials.

cheers, dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-17-2009, 5:04 PM
Another option is to get into the habit of always using the "Selection" option in your Print Range instead of "Current Document" when sending the job to your laser. That way if you have multiple layers, you don't accidentally engrave something you didn't want to.

Garrick David
12-17-2009, 6:32 PM
I'm glad you got this sorted out for now, but in the future: when you see something engraving that you don't want, especially if it's going to ruin your already done nice work (and your cards are very nice, BTW), just lift the lid and stop the laser from firing. Then, stop the job and figure out what happened. At least you won't have to regret losing all of your hard work and materials.

cheers, dee

I would have stopped it, but as it cut across several cards, I thought, let's see what this image is and by that time....(sadly) the damage was done.

Garrick David
12-17-2009, 6:34 PM
Another option is to get into the habit of always using the "Selection" option in your Print Range instead of "Current Document" when sending the job to your laser. That way if you have multiple layers, you don't accidentally engrave something you didn't want to.

That's smart. I often use "Selection", but until now I never had a reason to always make a habit of doing so. Thanks!!!

Garrick David
12-17-2009, 6:40 PM
Garrick,

Real nice business cards. Do you hand them out individually to special prospects, or do you place them in certain locations for people to take?

Todd

Yes, I take them around to the businesses where I think there is a good chance of repeat business. Today I visited some sign shops and architects. I got two really good leads. At $8 for 50 cards, they are not cheap. I used 1/16" thick finland birch from Michaels. Just slightly thicker than regular business cards. Everyone I gave them to today kept them for sure. Certain types of prospects appreciate the laser's ability to do something cool.

Richard Rumancik
12-18-2009, 3:37 PM
Another thing you can do is set CorelDraw so that it automatically shows the print preview on the right side of the "print" dialog box. You would probably have seen the garbage in the preview before you sent it to the laser.

John Noell
12-18-2009, 5:40 PM
When I want them to remember me for sure, I use fancy design cards cut from Rowmark flexibrass. Never fails to turn heads. (When somebody just wants a business card, I give them a regular paper card.)