PDA

View Full Version : They've gone and done it again!!

John Keeton
12-16-2009, 5:12 PM
Sneaked out early today and thought I would come home and play in the shop a little. Walked in, and on the counter, ANOTHER box!

I looked at the address label and it said De Masi!:confused:

Hmmmmmm....... The box is way too small for that PM3520B that Tony wants me to have (and that I really wouldn't mind owning!:D)

Then, I look over to the side and there is a mailing tube that says THOMPSON on it!! Things are getting more interesting!

Like a kid at Christmas, I tear into the box and find several red cedar blanks and a very, very nice mahogany blank!
You guys really know how to get this done, don't ya'! This all started with just making a set of legs - that's all I wanted to do! Just build furniture! I was happy with that. I haven't kept count of how many times I have commented that the bowl thing didn't interest me.

But I gotta admit.....I WAS LYIN'!!!!!!!!:o:o;)

The excitement level is substantial. Before I even opened the tube from Doug, I went to the computer and checked the tracking on my Nova chuck. It won't be here until the 22nd!:mad: The Cole jaws will be here Friday - not much good without the chuck!:(

So, I opened the tube...
My first task will be to get these Thompsons in some handles, and I had already taken some walnut and maple scraps and roughed out some handle blanks. I think I posted a pic of those earlier.
I may have to put a piece of that cedar between centers and play with it a little to get the feel of this bowl gouge.;)

Got to thinking....I could take that Paul Atkins tool I made, and make a couple of scrapers.....:cool: And, the plot thickens!

Tony, thanks so much! You guys are great, and I just hope I get an opportunity to pay it forward someday.

charlie knighton
12-16-2009, 5:17 PM
great gloat, enjoy!

gary Zimmel
12-16-2009, 5:23 PM
Better watch it John.
That vortex is about to take its next victum.
Or maybe it already has.:D
Order that lathe. You know you want to....

Great job guys.
I love the way you put these plans to work.
And pluck off helpless flatworkers.

And congrats on the Thompson tools..

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2009, 5:43 PM
John - Congrats on getting your Thompson tools and also on receiving yet another box of wood! That's cool! Great looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Robert McGowen
12-16-2009, 6:09 PM
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I am looking for some hand planes and other hand tools for cheap. Does anyone know of any person, maybe even someone named John, that might be selling anything like this to perhaps raise some cash for a PM 3520b? :eek::D:cool::rolleyes:

Just joking John, I know you need something to sit on the shelf and collect dust while you turn!

David Christopher
12-16-2009, 6:20 PM
John, thats a nice gloat. I cant wait to see that nice purdy shop of yours full of shavings

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 6:28 PM
Quit your whining John. Get back to your lathe!:eek::rolleyes:

Bill Bolen
12-16-2009, 6:41 PM
Bombed again! My....you must be suffering! Congrats on the great score but even more so the great friends you have made...Bill...

Tony De Masi
12-16-2009, 7:20 PM
You are quite welcome John. I put a few small rounds of cherry in there just in case you wanted to try some small bowls first:cool:

Let me know how the mahogany works out. I haven't used any of it myself, for turning anyway.

I hope you don't too many furniture projects on your list as I would think they would be pushed to the bottom.

Enjoy.

Congrats on the Thompson tools. Still need to pick some up myself.

Tony

Jim Kountz
12-16-2009, 8:04 PM
Admit it John, you're in deep and you're just getting started. Have fun and enjoy!!

John Keeton
12-16-2009, 8:20 PM
Quit your whining John. Get back to your lathe!:eek::rolleyes:And that I did sir!! Just came in, and this is what I have to show for it -

16" tip to tip, walnut and curly maple.

I couldn't part it off as I need to chuck it back in my collet chuck to drill the hole for the tang. I don't have my Jacobs chuck in yet - hopefully tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Bombed again! ....but even more so the great friends you have made...Bill...Bill, you are so right on that! This group has readily accepted this old hillbilly flatworker into their midst, and I appreciate so much all that I have learned and the relationships formed. Great bunch of very talented and generous folks!

You are quite welcome John. I put a few small rounds of cherry in there just in case you wanted to try some small bowls first:cool:

Let me know how the mahogany works out. I haven't used any of it myself, for turning anyway.

I hope you don't too many furniture projects on your list as I would think they would be pushed to the bottom.

Enjoy.

Congrats on the Thompson tools. Still need to pick some up myself.

TonyTony, no more flat work 'till spring thaw!!;) I will be on my lathe!:D

I am going to pull some junk wood from the firewood pile to chew up before laying a gouge to any of the rounds and blanks that you and Ken sent me. I suspect my first attempts at this bowl gouge may be a little challenging.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 8:23 PM
John,

Do you have Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy"?

John Keeton
12-16-2009, 8:47 PM
Ken, no I don't. PSI has it, and I almost included it when I ordered the Jacobs chuck. I check ebay for a copy and nothing. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy it at full price. PSI also had "Beyond the Basic Bowl", but it looked like it was focused more on a few specific types of bowls rather than general technique.

Robert McGowen
12-16-2009, 8:48 PM
John,

I am sure that everyone has their own way of doing things and you might get several different methods, but I always drill the hole for the tool first. Then you put the nose of the tailstock in the hole you just drilled and turn the handle. That way, the hole is always perfectly centered and parallel to the handle. If you drill the hole after you turn the handle and it is even a hair out of parallel or off-center, it is real obvious by the time you get to the end of the tool! Also, for me, a pipe clamp works great for easing the gouge into the handle a few turns at a time.

Good luck with your new gouges. By the way, the handles look great!

Robert

John Keeton
12-16-2009, 9:12 PM
Robert, thanks for the comment on the handle. My thought on drilling the hole was to put the handle back in the collet chuck, and then put the Jacobs chuck in the tailstock to hold the drill bit. If I start the hole on the indention where the livecenter was, it should drill straight and parallel to the handle. Your thoughts?

I may do the next one per your method, but I am stuck on this one.

Using a pipe clamp is a great idea! Thanks.

Kenneth Whiting
12-16-2009, 9:26 PM
Wow, that's great John. Have fun with all those blanks.

Great job on that handle, too. It should work well for you.

Anyone want to start a pool on how late in the spring John gets back to his flat work?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 9:28 PM
Wow, that's great John. Have fun with all those blanks.

Great job on that handle, too. It should work well for you.

Anyone want to start a pool on how late in the spring John gets back to his flat work?

Bo....You meant "IF" didn't you?:confused::p

Robert McGowen
12-16-2009, 9:29 PM
John,

From seeing the quality of the work that you post, I don't doubt that you will do just fine drilling the hole for the gouge as you plan on doing. You will find though, in my experience of course, that any time you have to "re-chuck" something, you are just asking for it to be off by a bit. Before you drill the hole, spin the handle fairly fast and see if there is any "shadow" to the handle. The profile should look like the handle is not moving at all. If there is a "shadow" or an uneven look to the profile, then you are not exactly centered, regardless of the previous marks left on the wood by the chuck or tailstock.

Robert

Kenneth Whiting
12-16-2009, 9:34 PM
Ken, thats more like it. I've had a project unfinished for at least a few weeks that I really should get back to, but can't get away from the lathe.

By summer we will be hearing "I didn't say which spring thaw, there's more coming around".

Matt Evans
12-16-2009, 9:36 PM
Tony, no more flat work 'till spring thaw!!;) I will be on my lathe!:D

Aw. . .Shucks.

I was hoping you would do another combo piece, a lowboy or bombe chest or. . .

Have fun turning!

ROY DICK
12-17-2009, 8:52 AM
John,
Congratulations are in order all the way "A Round".
I know you have been "Bowled Over" by the gifts you have received.
However at this point they are still flat.
As we have admired your outstanding flat work, we know you will do fantastic on your new endevor.
Have a great time with the new items and stay safe.

Roy

John Keeton
12-17-2009, 9:39 AM
Thanks, guys, but don't set the bar too high for me here!!:o My head is spinning (:eek: wrong part!) with all the information, new toys, what to do first....

With flatwork I often forget that at one time I had to think about whether to joint a board first or plane it first!

With this round stuff, I am trying to think through the process, and absorb as much as I can before I take on trying a bowl project. I don't mind messing up some junk wood, but the thought of putting a nice chunk of mahogany (thanks again, Tony!) or a big ol' round hunk of walnut (and, you too, Ken!) on there and chewing it up is just wrong!:( Those pieces deserve better than that.

Since I don't have a great situation for finishing a piece of flatwork in cold weather, this season will be perfect for me to play in the round world.

Matt, I do have a couple of flat projects in the "back of my mind" and I am toying with sassafras for one of them. I have found a source for some very clear sassafras for $1/ft. that is bone dry. Too tempting!!;)

Just checked the tracking on my Jacobs chuck and it should arrive today! Maybe I will get these Thompsons in handles before the weekend!:D

Matt Evans
12-17-2009, 9:43 AM
Sassafras for $1. . .I haven't seen sassafras in the shop in years, and even then it was all thin stuff, and expensive. That ought to be a gloat in itself!

Good to hear you'll keep a hand in on the flat work.

Terry Murphy
12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Remember there is no 12 step program for this habit.

You are in for life.
Congrats!
Terry

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2009, 2:34 PM
John I am a little late getting here but congrats on a great gloat. Well I would say the bar is set my friend.

Steve Mawson
12-17-2009, 4:13 PM
This is really a great saga (story). The reading I get just makes my day and John you are a great writer as well as soon to be turner, probabaly already are. I am sure you will let us see what you make when it's done. Can't wait for the next story.

Brian Effinger
12-17-2009, 6:19 PM
Ken, no I don't. PSI has it, and I almost included it when I ordered the Jacobs chuck. I check ebay for a copy and nothing. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy it at full price. PSI also had "Beyond the Basic Bowl", but it looked like it was focused more on a few specific types of bowls rather than general technique.
You might want to wait on that DVD. You never know what Santa may bring for Christmas.
Or what a couple Creekers may do for their own amusement ;) :)

John Keeton
12-17-2009, 8:15 PM
You might want to wait on that DVD. You never know what Santa may bring for Christmas.
Or what a couple Creekers may do for their own amusement ;) :)You guys have done too much already, Brian!! And, I mean that in the worst possible way!:D;)

Steve, what I could really use here is a good defense lawyer! Can't represent myself as "He who represents himself has a fool for a client." Wait! That may be appropriate!

I lean toward obsessive behavior at times, and I must admit this whole round world experience is dominating my thoughts (not that I haven't been warned!:rolleyes:)

Today, in a lull, I found myself viewing YouTube videos, and stumbled on Neal Addy's promo clip. Wow! Some nice stuff! Suddenly, I realized the folly of my situation. Here I am, between court appearances, looking at bowls and hollow forms!:eek: What has become of me?!?!?!

Then reality struck like bolt of lightning - it is the VORTEX!!! I am doomed.........

Brian Effinger
12-17-2009, 9:35 PM
Then reality struck like bolt of lightning - it is the VORTEX!!! I am doomed.........
Don't struggle.

There is no escape.

You are doomed, so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride, because it is too late to get off. :)

alex carey
12-17-2009, 9:47 PM
congrats on all the new stuff.

This is why they call it the vortex. No one stands a chance.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2009, 9:59 PM
I suspect Santa for John will be dressed more like the FedEx delivery guy or gal and probably not in red.:rolleyes:

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 6:48 AM
My wife is beginning to get concerned that I have some sort of "relationship" with the FedEx and UPS drivers anyway!!!:eek::D They have been making all too frequent trips up our drive!;)

"Devious" is simply not enough to describe you guys!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2009, 8:00 AM
Speaking of your wife John....

Do we need to ask "Mrs. Keeton.....can Johnny come out and play?" each time?:confused::rolleyes:

Brian Effinger
12-18-2009, 2:29 PM
"Devious" is simply not enough to describe you guys!!
Weeeellllll, then what word would you use? :rolleyes:

Oh, wait. I forgot for a moment that this is a family forum. :eek::D

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 6:47 PM
Coming home from the office these days is like a kid going to a candy shop!!!

Had ANOTHER box today! Now, I have to admit - just having a box waiting on me isn't a surprise these days. Even though I have been resistant to the tug of the vortex, I do have several orders coming in from various sources!:o;)

Looked at the box, and the label is obviously not from a company. Looked a little closer, and it says SCHLUMPF!!! Another sneak attack!!:eek:

Tore into the box, and find -
A gorgeous spalted birch bowl blank already roughed out and dry!!!!
Four pieces of wonderful BE maple!
And, a piece of cherry burl which looks to have some fantastic figure!

To top it off, Steve wrote a very nice letter, giving me the history of each piece of wood, and offering encouraging words.

Steve, thanks! I truly appreciate the generousity and the kind words. You guys are special!:o

Here is the whole load, along with my new Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge - waiting impatiently :( for my Nova chuck to come in.

Guys, this is really getting to me! I saw a friend of mine at Walmart that knew I did some woodworking. He commented that he had some chunks of walnut.

As some of you know, I have a bunch of walnut - all board stock for furniture. In my "past life", chunks of anything meant more firewood! All of a sudden, "chunks" immediately bring to mind other possibilities.:D So, I stopped by his house and got this -

This is wet, and I don't have a clue what best to do with it - any thoughts? I would suspect there is some figure around that branch area, but I am not sure of the best way to maximize the use of this. Surely, there is a bowl in there somewhere!!!:D

gary Zimmel
12-18-2009, 7:28 PM
Another great present John....
The way this is going all the wood in the US will soon be in Kentucky.:D

How many more sleeps till that chuck arrives?

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2009, 8:16 PM
John - I am glad you liked the wood! The White Birch has plenty of wood (meaning it is really thick) so you have enough to play with styles when you go to finish it.

Congrats on the Walnut - first suggestion is to seal the wood with anchorseal or latex paint to keep it from checking. I would just seal it and set it aside until you have a little more playtime on the lathe!

Hope your chuck shows up soon cause I'm looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this mess!

Have fun!

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 8:47 PM
Gary and Steve, the chuck is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday, the 22nd! My daughter will be in on the 23rd, so with Christmas, I doubt I will get a chance to do much until afterward. Hopefully, all will be quiet on Saturday and I can chuck up something and see what happens!! Sunday, we have another family event, so not much time this next week.:( Wish it was here for this weekend - would be a perfect time!

If latex paint will work on the walnut, I have plenty of that. I will just lay on a thick coat on both ends and the knot and let 'er sit!

Kenneth Whiting
12-18-2009, 8:51 PM
Congrats, John, on your latest care package. These guys are going to keep you busy for a while.

David Christopher
12-18-2009, 8:54 PM
John, if you have a woodcraft near by you could pickup a woodcraft chuck and be turning by the afternoon

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 9:07 PM
John, if you have a woodcraft near by you could pickup a woodcraft chuck and be turning by the afternoonDavid, that is just another sneaky way to get me deeper into this abyss!!!:D Besides, the Cole jaws that are sitting in my shop with nothing to attach to, wouldn't fit the woodcraft chuck.

They do have Nova though.......hmmmmmm. Nope, better not!:eek:

Baxter Smith
12-18-2009, 9:39 PM
Nice pieces but what caught my eye was the note about the history. To me, knowing the history of the wood that you make something out of, just makes it that much more special. If you ever post what you turn from of it, I hope you will share its story too!:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Sheesh John they do carry more chucks than the woodcraft model. I think they do have G-3's. You will need one for bowl jaws, cole jaws, pin jaws, shark jaws, etc., etc., etc. Just trying to help.:eek::D:cool:;)

Congrats on the package from Steve. Thats just to cool. John is like a kid in a candy store and grandpa just gave him a quarter.:D