PDA

View Full Version : PAsco/Tri-cities area

Kevin Arceneaux
12-16-2009, 4:47 PM
Anyone from around that area?

I will be moving up that way after the 1st of the year.

Got a new job there and I am curious about the area and wood dealers. I will be having time FINALLY to get back into wood.

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2009, 9:03 PM
I have been there several times, most recently in June for a few days, installing signs in West Pasco. Hey, it's hard to do woodworking with tumbleweeds! :eek:

Seriously, it's desert so there is a lack of trees, unlike much of the state. Beautiful though, on the river, and with 300+ days of sun, maybe 8-10" of rain. Hope you like it hot, it was 108 in June when I was there.

Not too far away is the newer area for grapes and wineries. I was blown away by the low home prices, brand new for under $100k, really nice big ones for like $150k.

If you long for the big city and Rockler, Seattle's only a 4 hour drive. I really didn't take time to look but there must be some woodworkers around, hopefully you'll find them.

Welcome (in advance) to WA state!

Mike Henderson
12-16-2009, 9:11 PM
A Cajun in latte land. That should be interesting.

Good luck in your new location.

Mike

[Edit: Well, it looks like you're going to be some distance from Seattle (latte land)]

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 9:25 PM
Kevin

Joe pretty well nailed it. Pasco, Kennewick, Richland area is desert. Some excellent wineries in the area. The Colombia River and the Snake River combine there. I can't speak for right there but upriver is some excellent fishing ...walleye. There should be some excellent sturgeon fishing nearby.

The Cascade Mountains aren't far away. If you have never been to the Pacific Northwest, you are in for a treat! My MIL will tell you she has seen all of the Lower 48 States and finds the Pacific Northwest the prettiest area of the country because of it's diverse topography, vegetation and climates.

From there for the next few years you will be able to vacation at some of the prettiest areas on the continent when you throw Canada into the mix.

In or within a days drive you can fish for catfish, bass.....trout of most varieties...... You can hunt rabbits, quail, pheasant, elk moose, black bear, antelope whitetail deer, mule deer, mountain goat, mountain and desert sheep. There are too many ski resorts within a few hours to begin to enumerate.

You will learn to like it I'm sure.

Give me a call when you get into the area. I will bring you to this area and be your guide and host for a few days. I will bet I can make your eyes twinkle with the wonder of the beauty of this area!

Kevin Arceneaux
12-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks Ken.

I am pretty excited about the new job. This has been a fast deal. I sent them a resume last Tuesday, phone interviewed Wednesday, had my plane ticket that afternoon. I flew up Sunday (missed the Saint's game :( ), met with everyone Monday. And off I go.

BTW, I will be Sr. Safety for the Mission Support Alliance. I will have 35 or so cranes to look after plus all the other fun stuff. Should keep me on my toes.

Carlos Alden
12-17-2009, 8:54 AM
Kevin:

I live in Spokane, a couple of hours' drive north. Woodcraft store up here.

Big second to what Ken said.

Hugely diverse state. Drive for a few hours in any direction and you can get rain forest, Cascade peaks, high desert (well, you're already there in the Tri Cities,) Idaho mountains, steep Oregon gorges, Montana peaks, etc. Central Washington State is one of the most starkly beautiful areas I've ever been in. Portland and Seattle are in easy reach - both stunningly beautiful and fun cities to visit. Go wander around the San Juan Islands on the ferry system - there's nothing like it anywhere else. Spokane has really excellent shopping and first class medical facilities, and super-excellent skiing in the winter. Er, for someone from the south, that's where you strap long sticks to your feet and go sliding down hills.

You'll like it when you get used to the lack of humidity.

Carlos

stacey martin
12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I live in the Tri-Cities. As far has woodworking goes there is a Western Tool, Myline power tool, they have the best selection of woodworking stuff around here. There is Whites unfinished furniture for wood. A guy advertise in the Gaint Nickel for hardwoods but I have never called to see what he has. I like Windsor Plywood in Spokane.
Stacey

Kevin Arceneaux
12-19-2009, 5:29 PM
Thanks all.

I am really looking forward to this.

I will be the crane guy for safety at Hanford.

Montgomery Scott
12-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Good luck. Hanford has over 55 million gallons of radioactive waste and many of the tanks have been leaking into the groundwater for years. Not for any small amount of money would I want to live there.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-31-2009, 3:40 PM
It is official, I'll be there by the middle of January.

Paul Knoke
12-31-2009, 5:56 PM
I moved to the area over the 4th of July holiday. I work for a Paper company that relocated me to a mill in area.

Over all its a nice place to live. I moved from the greatly Portland area and I was very surprised how many of the amenities and stores I grew up with were close by. Temporary housing is a little tight lightly. The federal government has been throwing alot of money at Hanford as of late and the influx of people has caused rent to rise. Housing prices as stated are relativley low, at least compared to Portland.

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a home and I haven't done much looking for woodworking supplies as of yet, the shop has been in storage for 6 months or so :(.

As mentioned the one hardwood dealer I've found is Whites unfinished furniture in Kennewick. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but it seems relativley popular. No idea where to buy tools locally as of yet, but Portland (3 1/2 hrs) has a Rockler, Spokane (3 hrs) has Woodcraft, and Grizzly has a location in Bellingham (5hrs).

The home depot in Richland also has a decent selection of both tools and lumber. Better than most I've seen around the state anyway.

If you'd like any advice or even possibly a friendly face drop me a pm and we can exchange numbers.

Paul

stacey martin
12-31-2009, 5:58 PM
Good luck with your move, I hate moving. Maybe our snow will be gone by the time you get here.
Stacey