PDA

View Full Version : Two more christmas presents....

Kevin J Lalonde
12-16-2009, 3:10 PM
First attempt at a box. It's actually 2 seperate Oak Lump/Bumps Mr. Van der Loo was talking about. Some burl and spalting. 5x3.5 with waterlox. The other is a first attempt at cherry hollow form. I think we'll just put a tea light candle in it and call it good, 7.5x3, waterlox also. Thanks for looking. All C&C encouraged!

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2009, 8:45 PM
Kevin - some pretty cool stuff! Interesting form on the Cherry! Haven't seen the top recessed like that before - gives it a different look!

The box is very interesting! Nice form and finish but not 100% with the differences of wood grain between top and bottom of the box. Nothing wrong with the turning - just my personal tastes coming through!

David E Keller
12-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice job on both of them. I like the wild figure in the box but might like a contrasting wood in between lid and base(something dark like ebony?)... Just a thought. It might seperate the two pieces of wood a little visually so the wood doesn't seem mismatched. Overall, great first box.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 1:34 AM
Good work Kevin, but the idea to break-up the two halves is a good idea I think.
Just give it a try, even a light colored piece of wood should make a difference, you can always ebonize it with some india ink before glueing it in place :)

alex carey
12-17-2009, 1:42 AM
I agree with Steve, some good work here but the top and bottom don't mesh well enough for me.