PDA

View Full Version : Bowl and Balls

David Pearson
12-16-2009, 2:50 PM
Here's some recent work. The bowl is a cherry crotch, about 12 inches and the balls are oak, walnut and maple. All are finished with wipe-on poly. The balls are fun to make, once you get the hang of it!

Gary Conklin
12-16-2009, 3:06 PM
Nicely done David.

Sean Hughto
12-16-2009, 3:13 PM
It didn't occur to me that showing my similar interest was inappropriate. I apologize and have deleted my post.

David Pearson
12-16-2009, 3:36 PM
It didn't occur to me that showing my similar interest was inappropriate. I apologize and have deleted my post.

It was totally cool with me Sean! It's nice to see other spheres! Anyone else have any sphere pics??

Sean Hughto
12-16-2009, 3:56 PM
Thanks, David. I certainly wasn't trying to one up you at all. Indeed, your bowl and your spheres are way better than my beginner efforts. I just thought it was cool that someone else liked to take pictures of their bowls with spheres in them. I really meant it in a shared enthusiasm kind of way not in a competitive one at all.

Your bowl and spheres are excellent. Thanks for posting them.

I just use my skew and don't worry much if the sphere's are perfectly perfectly round. What's your method? Do you turn them twice using a cup chuck and such?

I hope to do some large eggs soon. Have you tried any eggs?

Again, thanks for your post.

David Pearson
12-16-2009, 4:10 PM
Thanks for the good words! Yes, I use two cups that I made to make the spheres. I taped some cork onto them to get some traction. Mine aren't perfectly round either, but they're round enough for me. I haven't tried any eggs yet, but when I started turning spheres, some of them turned out like eggs!

Sean Hughto
12-16-2009, 4:16 PM
To show scale in a picture, I put a real egg next to a bowl I turned. Some nice fellow here complimented me on how perfect an egg I'd made!

I quickly fessed up.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2009, 8:59 PM
David - very nice work and a really nice photo! Haven't tried spheres yet but they sure look like they would be fun! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice job. I haven't turned any spheres yet but they're on the ever-expanding list. I'd love to see some shots of the bowl without the spheres just to see that crotch grain. Thanks for posting

David Pearson
12-17-2009, 9:06 AM
Nice job. I haven't turned any spheres yet but they're on the ever-expanding list. I'd love to see some shots of the bowl without the spheres just to see that crotch grain. Thanks for posting
I didn't get a good pic of that one without the spheres in it. It sold pretty quick. Here's a pic of what I made with the other side of that log.

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2009, 2:41 PM
Really nice looking pieces. Well done.

Ken Hensley
12-17-2009, 5:13 PM
David, Nicely done. I definitely need to try spheres as soon as the holiday are over. Maybe Santa will bring me some wood and new tools to work with. :p

Ken