PDA

View Full Version : CNC or Rotary

Martin Boekers
12-16-2009, 2:40 PM
I need to produce AF Metal nametags. I don't have a rotary now and am weighing options.

Is this something I could do on a small CNC machine such as a "Shark?"

I hate to spend money on a rotary engraver (don't do any rotary now) that I don't have much of a call for. I was thinking that a "shark" would open up some new territories for my shop.

Good idea, Bad idea any thoughts appreciated.

If recommending "stick with a rotary" what is a good machine under or around $3000.00.

Thanks,

Marty

Scott Shepherd
12-16-2009, 4:00 PM
Sub it out. You said you don't have many. Just sub it out and move on. No expenses incurred. I've seen some people swear the lower end CNC's are great for engraving, but I've seen some demos from the people that make the accessories for them and I would be ashamed to put my name on anything I saw. It didn't even come close to comparing with the quality of the rotary engraver.

Martin Boekers
12-16-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks for the input, The thing is I'm on an Air Force Base so this is a service they have been looking at. It take weeks to get them from clothing and sales in the BX. To job them out just takes my time without bringing in funds so I advise where they can get them sooner.

I had an older engraver that went bad about three years ago and haven't had funding to replace it. Haven't really missed it except for the nametags and a coin here or there. Iv'e been pushing for a small CNC for awhile and was hoping to kill two birds with one stone thing.

Deep down I know better than to try to get a machine to do something it wasn't ment to do and get high quality results.

Thanks!

Marty

Dan Hintz
12-16-2009, 7:55 PM
If you decide to go with a rotary, check the classifieds here... I think I saw one for sale a few pages in.

Mike Null
12-16-2009, 8:59 PM
Marty

As you know we share the same customer. I have been asked to do a few of these tags and declined as I felt the reward wasn't there. What happened to the guy outside the main gate?

Bill Cunningham
12-17-2009, 9:00 PM
Pick up a small used pantograph machine for this job.. They certainly cost far less than $3k I have one for $2k(w/ a load of accessories), but it's the accessories that cost, if fact they cost more than the machine:eek: Not trying to sell the machine to you,ha it would probably cost too much to ship it down from Canada anyway..There are probably lots of them around if your looking!