PDA

View Full Version : Garage door installation

John O'Brien
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Background;
new house, closed on 3/31/09
2 car garage with (2) 8'x7' insulated doors
garage is fully insulated and finished

I think the garage door openings are too big for the doors. Builder came back once to try and fix them. Removed the weatherseal strip and added a piece of 1x4 around frame and reinstalled weatherstrip. Made it a little better, but can still see light down both sides of doors. If I push against the inside of the door, they seal better. I do not have the installation instructions for these doors, but looking on line, the directions I can find state the rough opening should be the same size of the doors. What is the rough opening? Is it to the 2x4 or 6 down each side of the opening, or is it measured including the 1x6 trim pieces? With the doors closed, there is about 3" between the edge of the door and where the track is mounted to the framing. Also, the distance between the tracks varies from the floor area to the top of the doors. The rollers on the doors can move in and out, so the door operation is not affected, but you can visually see they are crooked. Don't know if this is normal installation or not.

Any garage door experts, willing to give me some advice? Builder rep is coming tomorrow (Thursday) morning to take a look.

Thanks

Pat Germain
12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
If the light is showing through the weatherstripping, that's no big deal. You don't want the door to be too tight lest it get stuck. If the light is shining around the weatherstripping, that's an air gap and it's a big deal.

John O'Brien
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
The weatherstripping is up against the door, because they moved it in some. But, I can fit my fingers between the edge of the door and the wood strip the weatherstripping is attached to.

I think the framed opening is too wide for the doors, but I don't know how to "prove" it to the builder.

Harry Hagan
12-16-2009, 1:08 PM
I’m responding to your question because I had a problem with a high-quality door three months after installation. I got lucky when the installation company sent out an old timer who knew what he was doing. He said the door had not been aligned correctly during installation and promptly corrected the problem. You’re on the right track. You need to find someone who knows how to properly install a garage door. If your builder did, he would have noticed the problem before you closed on the house. Have an expert on hand when you meet with the builder. Don’t let them get away with shoddy workmanship.

Mike Sery
12-16-2009, 2:03 PM
The finished opening should be the same size as the door. i.e.: 8' x 7'.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 2:05 PM
Take a picture of it, and shoot it off to the customer service company of the manufacturer of the doors, and see what they say.

Bob Lloyd
12-16-2009, 6:58 PM
John
The rough opening should be the size of the door. That is the distance to the rough framing, not the 1x6 that you said that you have. The stop molding or trim piece makes the finished opening smaller than the door.
Bob