PDA

View Full Version : M12V Question

Matthew Poeller
10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
I have an M12V that I use mainly for hand work since the PC is mounted on the table right now.
The questions is:
I was working with is the other night and noticed that the collet was loose where is attached to the motor shaft. It looks as if it is supposed to run down and jam on the motor shaft via the threads. I was able to get it tight enough to do the little bit of work that I needed to do the other night but now I am very weary of it. I downloaded the owners manual and the parts breakdown and do not see were there is a place to lock the motor shaft so that you can tighten the collet onto the shaft.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Jim Hinze
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your problem (which is a distinct possibility), there is a tab that hold the motor shaft in place for tightenting / loosening the collet for holding bits in place. You should be able to hold that, tighten it all the way which at some point will tighten the whole assembly on the motor shaft.... I can look at mine tonight when I get home... trying to visualize from memory is foggy at best.

I downloaded the owners manual and the parts breakdown and do not see were there is a place to lock the motor shaft so that you can tighten the collet onto the shaft.
Matt

Matthew Poeller
10-08-2004, 2:38 PM
Jim,

I know what you are saying but on my router that tab will hold the bottom part of the collet and then you can loosen the top part of the collet to put the bit in.

On the PC 690 the bottom part of the collet is intergral with the shaft and it looks like you cannot take it off.

On the M12 my whole collet comes off the threaded shaft but I am unclear how to tighten it back on there since there seems to be no way to lock the shaft.

Jim Hinze
10-08-2004, 4:20 PM
Matt,

I'll be home in about 2 hours, I'll take a look at it then. Something in my memory is triggering that I've done that before and there was a little trick... I'll reply later tonight with what I find and pictures if it helps.

Matthew Poeller
10-08-2004, 4:23 PM
Thank you Jim. I am at a real loss here.

Matt

Earl Reid
10-08-2004, 9:00 PM
Hi, Matt I had the same problem with my M12v router. I had mine for a couple of years befor i took it out of the box. the first or second time I used it, the collet came loose. I tightened it as best I could, but it came loose again. I called Hiatachi, They said it was out of warrenty and to send it back for repairs at my cost. They said it could only be reinstalled at the factory.
Apparently it is a tapered thread , because when unscrewing it about 1 tread it would wobble??
I did repair it, but due to possible safty problems, I will not reveal how I did it.
Earl

Charlie Plesums
10-08-2004, 11:09 PM
I had trouble using my M12V when it was new - as I recall, I couldn't get the 1/4 inch collet adapter into the half inch collet. I pried the collet apart with a screwdriver, trying to make room for the adapter. It broke, so my 1/2 inch collet is actually in two pieces rather than one with cuts that presumably would allow it to compress as the collet nut was tightened.

I am glad that it happened when I couldn't take the router back. I tried it, and it has been the best collet of any router I have used. A tiny twist (maybe 30 degrees) and it goes to firmly tight. A small twist and it is loose. If it had been as stiff as it was originally, I wouldn't bet on being able to tighten a bit sufficiently. I won't suggest that you break your router, but if it accidentally happens;) , be sure to see how well it works before you fix it.

There is a black metal spring-loaded slider, tight under the motor, that holds the motor shaft so you can tighten or loosen the collet.

Matthew Poeller
10-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Charlie,

I understand what you are talking about and that slide that you refer to does not hold me shaft. It holds the actual collet.

Earl,

I think know exactly what you are talking about and I thought of that but was thinking that it might be a safety problem but if you thought what I am thinking I might give it a try. (I wish that I could write this in only in that you can see but here goes. You locked to collet in place and then turned the router on.) Just give a wink if your fix is my thought too.

Matt

Gene Collison
10-09-2004, 8:40 PM
I have an M12V that I use mainly for hand work since the PC is mounted on the table right now.
The questions is:
I was working with is the other night and noticed that the collet was loose where is attached to the motor shaft. It looks as if it is supposed to run down and jam on the motor shaft via the threads. I was able to get it tight enough to do the little bit of work that I needed to do the other night but now I am very weary of it. I downloaded the owners manual and the parts breakdown and do not see were there is a place to lock the motor shaft so that you can tighten the collet onto the shaft.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

--------------
Matt,

If you have the skills, take the router apart to the point that you can hold the armature in your hand. About a 10 minute job! Hold the armature in a vise using two soft pieces of pine to pad the jaws to prevent damage. Use whatever tools necessary to tighten the chuck, not the collett. You may want to put a few drops of Loctite on the threads to prevent a reoccurence. After reassembly, check for runout before using.

Gene

Jim Hinze
10-10-2004, 5:11 AM
Matt,

Sorry for the delayed response.

from looking at the exploded diagram, it would appear that you do in fact have to disassemble most of the router to get it back on. I was mistaken and had another part go loose....

Earl Reid
10-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Matt, I didn't turn the router on,
Earl