PDA

View Full Version : Training with David Ellsworth

Mauricio Ulloa
12-16-2009, 8:48 AM
Hello fellow turners!

Last week I took David Ellsworth's training at his studio in Quakertown, PA. As many woodturners out there, I have never had any formal training before.

It's been a great experience. I own his book and most of his videos, but there are many tips and teachings that can only be transferred in person.

As famous as he is, David remains a down to the earth person. He personally prepares all the meals for his students and enjoys talking and spending time with them. He and his wife Wendy are wonderful human beings.

His house is like a museum. There are works of famous woodworkers and artists all over. It was amazing to sit on a Sam Maloof chair while I was enjoying a cup of coffee and reading a newspaper!

After the training, I have been able to significantly improve my skills and to redirect and refocus my line of work.

I highly recommend it! It's worth every penny you pay for it!

Take care,

Mauricio

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2009, 9:03 AM
WOW!!! Congrats Mauricio!

Formal training is one of those things that I have thought of often and reading of your positive experience helps to push me a little closer to actually doing something about it!

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your 'New' work now that you have completed David's school! Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

Tony De Masi
12-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow indeed. I'm betting that was a fantastic experience for you. I also would love to take some training from the pros, maybe someday.

Tony

Norm Zax
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Seems like a great opportunity. That's an interesting bandsaw. Homemade? and quite a low lathe stance. Why is that?

Bill Bolen
12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Thaks for sharing such a cool story. Lookslike you had a great time working with one of the masters! I too look forward to seeing your "new" line of turnings...Bill..

George Morris
12-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Glad you had a good time with The Elsworths they are very nice people and great hosts. I took his class a few years ago and it is well worth the expense to learn from a master! G

Rob Cunningham
12-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I live about 20 miles south of David and would love to take his class when I save up the funds. I use the Signature gouge on all my bowls, it would be great to learn the finer points directly from him. Can't wait to see some of your learning put into the wood.

Greg Just
12-16-2009, 8:23 PM
Mauricio:

I'll bet that was a great experience. I take it you had one on one training? Your skills will improve very much with the professional training.

I was lucky enough to take a weeklong class at Marc Adams School last August with Alan Lacer. It was great to turn for 8-10 hours a day with no interuptions. My abilities have greatly improved. I was pretty much self taught and the class corrected a lot of my bad habits.

Thanks for sharing

Mauricio Ulloa
12-18-2009, 8:51 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I'll be doing some natural edged bowls this weekend! To Norm, the bandsaw was an old model that David found and he decided to refurbish it.

Jack Mincey
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
It had to be a wonderful learning experience to get hands on training from one of the masters in the world of turning. I hope to take a course under David in a few years when I retire.
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats on the class. What a wonderful way to enhance your skills. I met David and he is just a class act. Would love to take some training from him.

Ed Kilburn
12-19-2009, 2:06 PM
Anyone taking Davids or Jeff Lohr's class are welcome to contact me. I live 17 miles from David and 13 Miles from Jeff. We have 2 extra rooms and a bath on the 2nd floor, having a creeker for a few nights would be great.
Ed:)