PDA

View Full Version : Olive wood: tips or cautions?

Jamie Straw
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I splurged on a stick of olive wood at Woodcraft last week, twice as expensive as the other stuff I grabbed. Is there anything I need to know about this, especially finishing? Thanks!

Robert McGowen
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I have turned quite a bit of olive wood. It is very easy to turn and will polish up to a very nice and shiny finish. It can crack though, so make sure that the blank is completely dry or you take precautions against it cracking. I have heard several stories about buying blanks coated with wax and the blank still being wet for a long, long time.

Ron McKinley
12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I love to turn olive wood but as Robert has pointed out it's usually filled with fine little cracks that you may not see until you start turning it. Check it over carefully and fill any cracks you find with thin CA glue. And, keep checking as you turn it. .......Ron

Jamie Straw
12-16-2009, 1:58 AM
I have turned quite a bit of olive wood. It is very easy to turn and will polish up to a very nice and shiny finish. It can crack though, so make sure that the blank is completely dry or you take precautions against it cracking. I have heard several stories about buying blanks coated with wax and the blank still being wet for a long, long time.

Interesting about the wet blanks. A couple of the stoppers I turned last week seemed damp to me. I guess I need to pull the moisture meter out and put it to work!

Jamie Straw
12-16-2009, 2:05 AM
I love to turn olive wood but as Robert has pointed out it's usually filled with fine little cracks that you may not see until you start turning it. Check it over carefully and fill any cracks you find with thin CA glue. And, keep checking as you turn it. .......Ron

I'll need some help with that, Ron. How do I go about filling tiny cracks? Would I apply it kinda like you do when finishing a pen with CA [I watched the video ;) ]

Ron McKinley
12-16-2009, 8:43 AM
I'll need some help with that, Ron. How do I go about filling tiny cracks? Would I apply it kinda like you do when finishing a pen with CA [I watched the video ;) ]

Use thin CA and rub shavings/sawdust into the wood. Let it dry a few minutes before continuing to turn.....Ron

Ryan Baker
12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Interesting about the wet blanks. A couple of the stoppers I turned last week seemed damp to me. I guess I need to pull the moisture meter out and put it to work!

If the blank has wax or sealer on it, assume it is wet -- very wet. It most likely is. Even the stuff with just the ends coated is often wet enough that it will move. Expect it to move (warp).

Jamie Straw
12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
If the blank has wax or sealer on it, assume it is wet -- very wet. It most likely is. Even the stuff with just the ends coated is often wet enough that it will move. Expect it to move (warp).
What's the best way to let it dry? I've only worked with dimensional lumber thus far. Should I leave the ends waxed and clean off the wax from the sides? Kind-of concerned that if I take all the wax off, including end grain, it might dry too quickly

Ryan Baker
12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
What's the best way to let it dry? I've only worked with dimensional lumber thus far. Should I leave the ends waxed and clean off the wax from the sides? Kind-of concerned that if I take all the wax off, including end grain, it might dry too quickly

Drying is a very complex topic, and you will find a LOT of information about it here. The answer depends on a lot of factors.

If you are going to turn something fairly thin, and don't necessarily mind a little warping, you can turn right to finished thickness. It will usually dry without cracking (because it can warp instead). How much it moves depends on the type of wood, size, moisture content, etc., etc.

Another method involves rough turning the blank, leaving a wall thickness of 10% of the diameter. Then the blank can be dried before finish turning. There are many methods for drying. I seal the blanks and let them air dry. Many people talk about DNA soaking, soap soaking, bagging, microwaving, etc. Humidity is another big factor. You are trying to slow the drying and make it more even throughout the blank to avoid cracking.

The rule of thumb for air drying is one year per inch of thickness plus one year. A roughed out blank will take several months. Some have varied success speeding things up with various methods such as listed above.

Some projects work fine with wet wood. Others (like pens, boxes, pepper mills, etc.) should be done with dry wood (can't tolerate warping).

The point is just to be aware. If the blank is sealed, you should expect that it has a fairly high moisture content and will need to be dried first if you need dry wood for your project.

Curt Fuller
12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Savor the aroma!

J. Greg Jones
12-19-2009, 7:54 AM
Savor the aroma!

Precisely! I just turned a couple of Olive wood blanks for ice cream scoops yesterday-first time I ever worked with it. The aroma in the shop is very pleasant, and I may keep a little of it back in reserve just to make shavings the next time I work with the stinky Pin oak that I have.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I have bought blanks from Woodcraft before in 2 X 2, 3 X 3, etc. I use a scraper and clean all the wax off except the ends and I stop scraping about a 1/2" from the end. I have some that have been sitting for a couple of years and are about ready to go.

JerHall
12-19-2009, 1:14 PM
Is a great crack filler. Slap some lacquer sealer on it, press the sanka in while wet, and then drip thin CA on it. touch dry with a paper towel. Sand on lathe when dry. Looks great with the natural dark olive striations.

Barry Elder
12-19-2009, 2:51 PM
If it is real Olive, ala Spanish Olive from California, it will probably by loaded with oil, and will take forever to dry (a little exaggeration). I roughed out a piece that has been sitting in my shop for four years and it had not dried at all. But that's OK because now my shop in deodorized for the next month. I love the smell of turned Olive!

John Coloccia
12-19-2009, 3:14 PM
Before turning, sprinkle basil around the shop. Your shop will smell like my kitchen for weeks to come.

Jamie Straw
12-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks, everyone. Sanka......aroma......basil......years to dry. Oh, my, I hope those 2 wine stoppers I gave away last week don't fall apart! Will keep olive info in mind!