PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Goods Cutting Cart

Rich Aldrich
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Sunday afternoon, I made this cart so that I can use the EZ Smart to break down sheet goods without having to cut the sheets on the floor. I can tip the sheets off the shelf onto the cart. The cart top is about 30" off the floor - just about right for me to use the circular saw on the saw guide.

I got the cart from work. A piece of equipment we bought was shipped on it and no one wanted the cart, so I got permission to take it.

The frame is made of 2 x 4 with piece of plywood on top. Then I took strips of plywood and made the sacrifical lattice. The lattice ended up 44" x 60".

Mark P. Miller
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Nice work with that. It looks great. Seems really reasonable to me.

keith ouellette
12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I was going to build something similar but it wa going to be stationary and vertical, angled away from a wall because of space.

The part that was going to be similar was the rib except on top of that was going to be a 1/4" sheet glued and brad nailed to the rib to back up the cut.

if I were cutting a 1/2" thick sheet I would set my saw to 9/16 and just cut into the 1/4" backer

once the top got all cut up the rib and the 1/4in top would be replaced.

Jon Endres
12-16-2009, 9:04 AM
That cart is nice, only problem is that it takes up shop space. If you were to fit a removable flat top to it, over the grid, you could use it for a tool cart or extra assembly space, and just take the top off when you needed to cut something.

I have the EZ-Smart too, and I did a very lightweight grid out of 1x3 pine on 12" centers, pocket screwed vertically to 2x4 runners. I set it up right on top of my tablesaw top, is sized to fit it and clamp on. When it's not in use, I store it vertically right with the sheet goods. Also makes a great surface for assembly because you can attach clamps anywhere.

Rich Aldrich
12-16-2009, 7:42 PM
That cart is nice, only problem is that it takes up shop space. If you were to fit a removable flat top to it, over the grid, you could use it for a tool cart or extra assembly space, and just take the top off when you needed to cut something.

I have the EZ-Smart too, and I did a very lightweight grid out of 1x3 pine on 12" centers, pocket screwed vertically to 2x4 runners. I set it up right on top of my tablesaw top, is sized to fit it and clamp on. When it's not in use, I store it vertically right with the sheet goods. Also makes a great surface for assembly because you can attach clamps anywhere.

I don't like the idea of loosing the room, but the cart fits my situation better. My storage is at the back of the shop which is inaccessible this time of year. I normally handle sheets of plywood alone because help is not available. I can load the cart up at one end of the shop and wheel it to the other end to put the sheets in storage. The shop is 52 feet long.

Once the wood is stored, I can flop a sheet on the cart fairly easily.