PDA

View Full Version : Which cordless impact?

Paul Greathouse
12-15-2009, 8:50 PM
My oldest son didn't inherit the woodworking gene but loves mechanic work. Its a pretty good situation, I make sawdust for him when he needs it and he helps me out with mechanic work when I need it.

He wants a cordless impact for Christmas. Which cordless impact do you like especially those of you that have used it for mechanic work. Seems like busting bolts would require alot of torque compared to woodworking uses. I've used corded impact wrenches for mechanicing but have never used the cordless. Which one do you think would serve him best?

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-15-2009, 9:02 PM
In my business we use Dewalt 18 volt, 1/2" drive impact drivers. We beat them up and they still keep working well. You can buy 24 volt with a bit more torque. Amazon always seems to have the best deals on them.
fmr

Matt Meiser
12-15-2009, 9:05 PM
Milwaukee has some 1/2" drive impacts in the the new M18 line. I don't have one (yet) but do like my other M18 tools.

Scott T Smith
12-15-2009, 9:20 PM
Paul, if you want to get him something that is top of the line, get one from Snap-on.

Milwaukee would be my next choice, the higher the voltage, the better.

Jim Finn
12-15-2009, 9:23 PM
I worked for many years in the Sheetmetal trade and worked with impact drivers all day long every day. Running in screws and drilling and tightening nuts and bolts. We all used Makita iimpact drivers. I still have some. 9.2 Volt Nicad batteries, and they are strong enough to break off 3/8" bolts! Nicads are robust batteries and take a lot of abuse. Makita has newer larger voltage batteries now a days and I am sure they are stonger still. Makita gets my vote.

keith micinski
12-15-2009, 9:59 PM
I work at an asphalt plant and we use these Ingersoll Rands every day in the most heavy duty situations possible. We had to have one rebuilt after two years of abuse and it was no questions asked. Also the batteries and charger for this system are unbelievable.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200338787_200338787

Mike Gadget
12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I have used both Milwakee an Dewalt. I hated the Dewalt, loved the Milwaukee. I use my Milwaukee all the time and would buy another in a heart beat. I do have every cordless piece that they make and share my batteries. I would find out if he has any other tools that he could share batties with.

Mike

Paul Greathouse
12-16-2009, 9:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a place to start. I will be heading into town this morning for a doctors appointment and afterwards I'm going to check out the cordless impacts available locally.