PDA

View Full Version : Resent projects completed

Jon Olson
10-08-2004, 9:57 AM
Being a father to a 18 month old and a husband to wonderful wife, shop time is very limited. BUT here are my most resent projects.

One is a picture from for the LOML. It is maple and designed to match the bedroom set we have. It was made from half lap jointery, which without a good router setup, was not as easy as I thought. The picture is of hills in the Santa Barbara, CA area from a local artist. Next time I would have made it more rectangular to better complement the lines of the mirror it matches but hey, its done!!

The second pic is of some sanding blocks I made for a birthday gift to my best woodworking friend. He got me into this saw dust making hobby, so I thought I'd practice my hand skills (Planeing) and make him these sanding blocks. The design is from the "101 Best Projects" mag by WOOD. It was fun. I just wish I had found better wing nuts (Brass?) Maple and Walnut with just a durable clear coat.

Jim Becker
10-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Beautiful, Jon! I like the frame very much. As to the sanding blocks...I own one made by the one of the original designers of the project (Marlen Kemmet of WOOD Magazine) and really like it. Very functional and it feels good in the hand. One of these days I'll make some more and hopefully will do as nicely as you have.

Dick Parr
10-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Very nice Jon!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Nice work Jon! By the way......I made some a face frame for an oak side board using half lap joints. I used a router and a jig.......They weren't perfect either....Turns out .....if the material isn't the same thickness.......You have problems! I don't know why material from board to board isn't the same thickness but it isn't! Again....nice work!

Donnie Raines
10-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Nice.....I like the design.

Michael Stafford
10-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Good job, Jon. I also have made those sanding blocks. It is a tool that I use fairly often while making boxes. Very nice.

Chris Padilla
10-08-2004, 1:24 PM
Very nice, Jon. Dang it...we need to hook up. I wanna be your bestest woodworking buddy!!! :(

;) :D

Jon Olson
10-08-2004, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I know a sanding block is not really an item most people make. My normal block is a leftover piece of aluminum, but it made a nice gift and really works well.

Chris, we had talked about a get together, but I think that big box swallowed you up since you got back from the bar-b-que. PM me.

Jon

Jack Hogoboom
10-08-2004, 2:28 PM
Jon,

I like the way you executed the design. I may have to build a couple for myself.

Maybe someday I'll finish all my shop projects and have a chance to make something!!!

Jack