PDA

View Full Version : Assembling the 3520

Cliff Holmes
12-15-2009, 4:45 PM
Well, it's approaching Christmas week and time to pull the 3520 out of it's hidey-hole and put it together.

Those of you who've done this: I just picked up HF's hydraulic lift table ($160!). I'm thinking of removing the head and tail stocks, then lifting the bed onto the table and lifting it up/down to attach the legs and then putting the stocks back on.

Does this sound plausible? Any guesses on how heavy the bed is? I have an engine hoist to lift it if necessary.

Steve Mawson
12-15-2009, 4:54 PM
On mine I took off the headstock and tailstock and set the bed on a shop stool that was the right height to just clear the legs. Slid the legs under the bed- bolted them on and then put back the headstock and tailstock. I did it by myself so I know everything is under 100 lb each except the bed, it was heavy. Did not take too long. Sounds like you have what you need to make it work. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Brodie Brickey
12-15-2009, 5:07 PM
Cliff,

I have the 3520A. I was able to do it alone, but its much better with a fellow turner looking on just in case. The last thing you want to do is throw out your back and be unable to turn.

Congratulations on the new lathe. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2009, 5:11 PM
Cliff - I put my Jet 1642 together by myself - after hauling it through the house and into the basement! I set the bed on two sawhorses and went from there. Taking the headstock and tailstock off before assembly sure made things easier for me - but I didn't have a hydraulic lift - so maybe you won't have to. I do know the headstock on your lathe is gonna be heavy - so be careful!

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Cliff Holmes
12-15-2009, 6:07 PM
The last thing you want to do is throw out your back and be unable to turn.

As someone with a chronically bad back, I certainly agree even though this is my wife's Christmas present and I don't know how to turn anyway. Although, with this new lathe, I may indulge my fascination with bowls and hollow forms.

Dave Rudy
12-16-2009, 8:22 PM
The HF lift table will handle the bed easily -- mine handles the bed with the headstock and tailstock and tool rest and legs all attached -- whenever I want to move the 3520, I just move the stocks to the center, slide the table underneath, crank up and roll!

Cliff Holmes
12-16-2009, 8:30 PM
Yes, I know the cart will handle the bed with no problem. It's getting the bed from the box onto the cart to start with that has me worried :eek:

bill collier
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM
With the help of my teenage daughter, I moved the bed off of the skid and onto a furniture dolly. After rolling the bed into the shop I slid the bed off the dolly and onto rubber floor mats, turned it upside down, and bolted on the legs. Once that was done I called my daughter back and together we rotated the assembled legs and bed upright. We also lifted the headstock onto the bed and slid it into place after a little grunting and groaning.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Cliff,

I broke my back 9 years ago and try to protect it.

I opened the box on my PM3520B and removed eveything legs, etc except the bed with the headstock on it.

I slid the box on the pallet across my shop where I planned on putting the lathe.

I raised my Little Giant ladder up as high as it would go in the A-frame mode without hitting the ceiling and placed it over one end of the bed of the lathe. I put a piece of an old header across the top 2 rungs and wrapped and fastened a chain around the header. I hooked a Come-A-Long to the chain and the other end to one of the lathe bed and raised it. Then I attached one leg assembly. Then I moved the ladder to the other end and raised it and attached the other leg assembly. While I had the first end up I was able to pivot most of the pallet and box out from under the bed. When I raised the 2nd end up I was able to completely remove the pallet.

Did it all by myself. It's doable.

Kurt Bird
12-17-2009, 6:28 AM
Cliff, take a look here for lots of info: http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_19f4xnj9&revision=_latest

Hilel Salomon
12-17-2009, 6:58 AM
Cliff,

Using the HF table is exactly how I put mine together and, when the occasion arises, how I move it around. The hydraulic table is also perfect for picking up very large blanks and positioning them on the lathe.

Lots of luck,

Hilel.

Joshua Dinerstein
12-17-2009, 2:31 PM
I followed the directions and did the bed face down on a big thick sheet of cardboard. I set the legs on it and bolted them down.

While it worked. I had to get a neighbor to come help me flip it right side up and it was a GUT BUSTER to do it.

If I ever have to do it again I will use the doggone HF lift table I bought for that purpose do it by lowering the bed onto the legs. It would be 10x easier that way. So do what Hilel and other did and you should have no troubles.

Good luck and enjoy!

Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
12-17-2009, 2:34 PM
Yes, I know the cart will handle the bed with no problem. It's getting the bed from the box onto the cart to start with that has me worried :eek:
I had to do that. Sorry I should have put this in my other answer. I found that lifting only half of it and kind of "walking" it over made it very manageable for me. No I am 40 so your mileage may vary.

Joshua

Thomas Canfield
12-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Cliff,

I suggest you put a rod (1/2" thinwall conduit would work well even) on top of the legs before installing the bed. You can then put a sheet of plastic over that rod to shed the shavings and dust and prevent build up on any material or structure you put under. I made a rack similar to the one in the instructions but used 3/4" PVC conduit over 1/2" thinwall conduit for support rods. The rails were stacked and through holes were drilled through one side and left blind onthe other for the 1/2" conduit. I slipped the 1/2" through the open hole and through the 3/4" PVC into the blind hole. A cap board was installed over the open holes and 4 pieces of all thread were used inside the conduit to prevent the sides from spreading. It has served well for storing wood and adding weight.