PDA

View Full Version : EZ Grip Handwheel

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2009, 4:27 PM
What do you think of my new handwheel for my 1640?:D

My wood hauling Bomb Trailer had a breakdown. I couldn't find seals to fit it, so I mounted the wheel on the offside of my 1640, and at about 150 rpm, turned out the hub on both sides to fit available seals.

I used my Oland Tool, with a 3/16 cutter, to turn it out. I also had to turn down some metal spacers that hold the wheel off the spring shackles. I must say, I'm surprised that I could get this done... by hand... as much as I shake.

tom martin
12-15-2009, 4:41 PM
Seems like a lot of work! I bet you got tired.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2009, 5:14 PM
Cool! Wonder if Oneway would be interested in the photo with the pen? Would make for a great ad!

Glad you were able to fix the problem with the wheel! That was thinking!

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2009, 6:30 PM
Thanks, Men. I did get tired... just trying to hold the cutter with the same cutting pressure, and advancing it at the same time.
It wasn't a brainstorm, Steve... more like a slow creeping slap in the face. I'd spent almost 2 weeks trying to find some seals, and trying to figure out how to cut down a seal, and then it hit me... turn the hub!!
I'm slow some times.

Bill Bolen
12-15-2009, 8:38 PM
You got me! Gotta admit my jaw dropped at the pic then read the post. One heck-of-a-hand wheel...Bill...

Don Orr
12-15-2009, 9:06 PM
You crack me up Allen. Way to think outboard of the box:eek:.

Baxter Smith
12-15-2009, 9:35 PM
I need to make a handwheel for my lathe, but to be honest, one like this never crossed my mind! :) Have a couple old push mower wheels though... ;)

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Have a couple old push mower wheels though... ;)

Baxter, Great Idea!! I've really been wanting to make one that is really usable, and I have some wheels from an old kitchen cart. A wooden morse taper with a shaft on the end for the axle of the wheel, and voila!! Thanks!!