PDA

View Full Version : One For the Neighbors

Rob Cunningham
12-15-2009, 3:48 PM
My neighbors were kind enough to give me some wood from part of a Sycamore that came down in May. They also let me take a load of different woods from some tree work they had done recently. This bowl is from the Sycamore and I'm going to give it to them as a thank you. It's my largest bowl so far at 8 1/2" x 3" high with 3/8" wall thickness. I sanded the bowl to 220 grit and applied 6 coats of tung oil. After the oil cured for about 1 1/2 weeks I sanded with 2000 and 4000 grit Abralon pads by hand. Your comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2009, 4:06 PM
You did a great job on the bowl Rob! Beautiful wood and finish! Have to think your neighbors are going to love this! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
12-15-2009, 4:08 PM
Rob, beautiful coloring on the sycamore!! And, you did a great job on the bowl - nice finish! I kind of like the "not so glossy" look. Seems to showcase the wood better IMO.

alex carey
12-15-2009, 4:20 PM
Beauty, love all of the spalting, neighbor will love it.

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2009, 4:34 PM
They'll be your friends forever. Beautiful job!! That's a good way to insure more wood someday, too. Others will visit them, see the bowl, and want to get one for themselves, so they may go home and cut down a tree..... :o)

Tony De Masi
12-15-2009, 4:39 PM
Wonderful job Rob. You did the right thing in giving back to your neighbors.

I'm with John on the finish too. Just the right amount of shine IMO.

Tony

David E Keller
12-15-2009, 5:24 PM
Very nice form and beautiful spalted wood. Congrats to your neighbors.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2009, 2:11 AM
Nice work Rob, and a very neighborly thing to do, made it a better world, one bowl at the time :-)))

Jeff Nicol
12-16-2009, 6:18 AM
Rob, You did a fine job on a nice bowl with beautiful woood. Your neighbor will be very proud to own a one of a kind, from the heart piece of woodturning art! Like Leo said, making the world a better place is a great thing! Wish all the leaders would take a page from the woodworking community!

Thanks for sharing your very nice story,

Jeff

ROY DICK
12-16-2009, 7:45 AM
Rob,
Outstanding on both sides of the fence. That is a very nice, all around classic form.
+2 on what Leo said.

Roy

Baxter Smith
12-16-2009, 8:40 AM
Great bowl in all regards! A road near here has lots of old sycamores along it. Some occasionally are taken down by the state highway crew and get cut up. The pieces sit there for a few days, then it probably all heads for the county landfill. I shall have to borrow a piece the next time I see that!

Sean Hughto
12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Lucky neighbors! Their gonna cut down some more trees just to feed you some wood in hopes of getting more works of art!

Bill Bolen
12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Beautiful bowl and a very nice gesture. I too always return a turned piece for gifted wood. Agree with Leo, it just makes a better world...Bill...

Rob Cunningham
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I was very happy with the way the bowl turned out. It means a lot to me to get so many compliments from all of you.

steven carter
12-16-2009, 2:34 PM
Rob,

Really nice bowl. Sycamore is good to work with once you get past the smell.

Steve