PDA

View Full Version : New bandsaw advice

Alan Wright
12-15-2009, 2:11 PM
Hi all. I am getting a bonus in a couple weeks and the wife said I could use some for a new tool. I ALWAYS want a new tool:) . In any event, I'm getting my first bandsaw. I want it as a general purpose tool, but I intend to do some resawing. I typically work with QSWO, so I don' t anticipate needing resaw capacity more than 8 or 9 inches.

I've narrowed it down to two Grizzly machines.

It's either the G0513XB2 (17') or G0514x (19"). The 514 has free shipping, so in the end, it's only $81 more than the 513. I'm anticipating getting the 514. It has a 3HP motor versus the 2HP on the 513. However, the 513 has a brake and cast iron trunnions. For the little extra money it seems like the 514 is bigger and better (which, let's face it, is how men tend to buy anyway). Never havaing had a bandsaw, I just wonder if I'm missing something.

Thanks

John Harden
12-15-2009, 4:35 PM
Alan, I don't know those two machines, but if it's to be a general use bandsaw, and your only one, you might give some consideration to how well either of them handle small blades.

My 14" Delta has served me well for about 15 years or so. With a riser, it'll resaw very well, though slowly with its 10 amp, 110V motor.

My MM20 with 1 1/2" carbide tipped blade and 4.8 HP, 220V motor will resaw with the best of them, but the guide design of the MM is better suited to large blades. It will work with small blades, but will not quite as well as a smaller saw, that is designed for small blades.

That's sort of my point. Since you'll likely only have one band saw, make sure it'll handle both large and small blades well.

Large blades are great for resawing and straight line cutting, but for curves, or most anything else, you'll want it to be able to handle 1/4" to 1/2" blades well. Also consider what percentage of time you'll be resawing, versus general cutting. This will help guide you too.

Regards,

John

Dave Lehnert
12-15-2009, 4:54 PM
I have been researching the 513x2 for some time now and it get fantastic reviews. I have no experience with the 514 so I can't comment.

Cary Falk
12-15-2009, 6:29 PM
I have the 513x2 and love it. I debated between the 513x2, 514, and the 514x2. I ended up with the 513x2 because of the price and the size. I have not thrown enough at it to slow it down. I resawed some 7" red oak like hot nife through butter this last weekend. I also cut some 10" hard maple effortlessly. They are all great saws and you can't go wrong with any of them.