PDA

View Full Version : Payton update.......

Terry Hatfield
10-08-2004, 8:54 AM
Howdy everyone,

First let me say thanks to everyone at SMC. The many replies, emails and phone calls have been much appreciated along with everyone's prayers.

Payton is doing better. He is still very sore and the right wrist definitely has a more major problem along with the left elbow. Appears that everything else is going to be fine. He's going back to the orthopedic doctor in a few days. We'll know more then.

I did beat the worthless insurance company in to submission on the vlaue of the Tahoe. I didn't get exactly what I would have liked to have gotten but I did get considerably more than they first offered. I bought a new Dodge quad cab for me and gave my old Dodge quad cab to Payton..hmmm...was that a drive by gloat??? I know...I know...no pics = didn't happen. It's pouring rain right now so the pic police ( you know who you are) will just have to wait for the pics. :D

The bodily injury adjuster continues to be a total jerk. I have turned that part over to my lawyer. Interestingly enough, my lawyer told me that he had the exact same kind of case already with the same adjuster. That kid's Dad got the same treatment as I did so apparently there is a pattern here. Oh well I guess. I'm sure the lawyer will have a good time dealing with him.

I'll keep updating,

t

Dick Parr
10-08-2004, 9:18 AM
Real glad to here that Payton is doing a lot better. :) That was kind of a drive by gloat, Congratulations on the new truck. Sorry to here about the insurance guy, but that's what your lawyer is for. Sit back and let them fight it out.

Keith Starosta
10-08-2004, 9:23 AM
Terry, as I remember it, Payton was going to be playing ball in college ona scholarship, right? Will this situation have any affect on that at all? I sure hope not...

Keith

Ted Shrader
10-08-2004, 9:30 AM
Terry, as I remember it, Payton was going to be playing ball in college ona scholarship, right? Will this situation have any affect on that at all? I sure hope not...

Keith

Terry -

Great news that Payton continues to heal well. Guess some of those will take a little longer to mend.

Was also wondering about the football scholarship.

Regards,
Ted

Terry Hatfield
10-08-2004, 9:43 AM

Keith

Well Keith.....

Payton decided in the spring not to take the football scholarships. He has football burnout I guess. Not exactly what Dad wanted, but it has to be his decision. It's not like I can make him play football. He'll be attending Northwest Arkansas Community College starting at the second semester.

t

Michael Stafford
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Terry, glad to hear things are working out. Most importantly your son is getting better. You know you never get whole when one of these things happen. All you can hope for is that you get better and that there are no lasting physical effects on your son. It sucks that you lost money on the truck deal but it is only a "thing".

Donnie Raines
10-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey T,

Thats great news.....I am really happy for you and your family!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Terry....glad to hear things are going better for Payton! Hopefully that'll continue with the rest of his recovery! As far as his football thing.....I had a friend that was built like Payton and got a scholarship to a major university to play football. A few years later I ran into him while working on an oil rig in northern Illinois. I asked him how things went playing college football. Now this guy was the "ultimate" offensive lineman physically and mentally. He said he dropped the football scholarship after one year because it wasn't fun anymore. He stated that college football was like a camp for pro football and the guys there were playing for "keeps"! Though they are not "payed".....alumni would make "jobs" available for players. These players...going to college....get married .....a kid comes along......If they win a game.....the job pays a little more......If you hit a little harder.....if a major player gets injured.....he's out of the game....your team wins......a pay raise......In short Willy said the fun was gone from the game. He finished his degree with student loans (he was married and he's no coward!). Maybe Payton's choice is a very wise decision!

Dan Gill
10-08-2004, 11:22 AM
It's not like I can make him play football.
t

I heard that. That boy is WAY too big to make him do anything he doesn't want to. :D

And if his heart's not in it, he either won't do well or he'll resent it. Kids - one of the toughest parts of parenting is, after we teach them what they need to know to live in the world, we have to let them go live in the world.

Ed Falis
10-08-2004, 1:46 PM
"Bon Courage" Terry (as my French colleagues say). Sounds like Payton is making progress, as are you with the insurance company. Sad to say, the pattern you're seeing is all too common (you can ask my ex about that).

Best wishes to all of you,

- Ed

Dave Anderson NH
10-08-2004, 1:59 PM
I'm glad to hear that Payton is coming along. As for the bodily injury claims adjuster, well... you're in the business so you know how that works. The job of insurance companies is to collect premiums and make a profit, not to pay claims. Anyone who thinks differently is being niave. You're smart to turn it over to a lawyer. Payton sounds wise for his years, and you are wise to let him make his own choice without pressure to meet your expectations. That my friend is both a sign of true love and of great support on your part.

Roger Fitzsimonds
10-08-2004, 2:14 PM
I am glad that Payton is mending and hope the wrist and elbow are just slow healers. It is important for children to live by the decisions they make as they grow older it is what adults are made of.

Roger

Rich Konopka
10-08-2004, 3:31 PM
Glad to hear your boy is on the mend. Although it sounds like Payton is having diffculties with his wrist make sure that all long term effects on him are addressed by this lawyer. Have no mercy on the insurance company. You played nice and they didn't. They started their own game let this guy loose on them.

Best Regards,

Don Abele
10-08-2004, 5:06 PM
Terry, glad to hear that all is healing well. Best of luck with the insurance and a speedy continued recovery to Payton.

Be well,

Doc

Jack Diemer
10-08-2004, 9:23 PM
Glad to hear you let the lawyer do some of the dirty work.