PDA

View Full Version : 3d grayscale images

Andy Joe
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
anyone figure out yet how they are making these 3d gray scale images. Like the ones from gantry 3d.com?

Dan Hintz
12-15-2009, 1:04 PM
There's no secret, if that's what you're asking.

There are two main ways:
1) Design the component in a 3D-capable package and export it as a 2D height map in grayscale.
2) Eyeball it with a 2D-capable package using gradient fills.

Depending upon the design, one option may be quicker than the other. For example, if you already have a complicated 3D part, exporting with a height map is a few clicks. If you're starting from a picture, option 2 is probably the fastest.

Andy Joe
12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
thanks, not sure how those work yet, i have no real experince in the computer graphics world. I didnt think there was a secret, just didnt know where to start. So you are saying that if i draw it in solid works as a 3d modle i can export it as 2d and it will be what i want? Any sites i can vist to learn more or any advice how i can learn it better? Have you or any one here made pics like the ones on gantrys website?

Dan Hintz
12-16-2009, 1:06 PM
I've made a few using both methods, but finding a plug-in that handles the z-height map color conversion may not be easy. On top of that, SolidWorks is not a cheap package... I would suggest a more hobby-level 3D package to play with.

julien practiq
12-16-2009, 1:08 PM
thanks, not sure how those work yet, i have no real experince in the computer graphics world. I didnt think there was a secret, just didnt know where to start. So you are saying that if i draw it in solid works as a 3d modle i can export it as 2d and it will be what i want? Any sites i can vist to learn more or any advice how i can learn it better? Have you or any one here made pics like the ones on gantrys website?

I'm new to that field and like those images as well. It would be nice to figure out how these were created,my guess is Photoshop or Illustrator.

Andy Joe
12-16-2009, 1:58 PM
well solidworks is a package we allready have here...on like 10 machines or so. I was kinda hoping i could get away without buying another program. I looked a gradiante fills and i can get it to work well in easy shapes but im not sure how you figure out the scale you want to go between or how to do more complex shapes. I have also talked with our cad guys and non of them know how to do the 3d to 2d conversion you were talking about. Could i see some of the pics you have done? Is there a class or something you would sugest to educate me more? And once again thanks for the advice, you always seem to be answering my questions

George D Gabert
12-16-2009, 2:55 PM
If you do an advanced search using the word "gantry" in the engravers forum. Dee and several others have posted results and discussed how to do 3D in the last year.

GDG

Dan Hintz
12-16-2009, 7:36 PM
The entire model should be above the Z-plane. In a nutshell, your Z-plane is 0 (black) with a linear gradation to the highest point on the model with a value of 255 (white). Most 3D packages do not directly support a Z-height color map as they're designed to give a photo-realistic view. You'll either need to create your own plug-in or find a package that supports a pre-existing one.

Mike Null
12-16-2009, 9:06 PM
You can do the job with Corel. It takes time and practice but there are some tools in Corel that can help depending on the nature of the drawing. Search 3d engraving for a few threads on the topic.