PDA

View Full Version : Dado Cut with TS and Dado Stack

Bob Elliott
12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Years ago I saw a drawinng of a method of cutting exact width dados here or at another site. The poster used two thicknesses of wood against the fence - one was the exact thickness of the dado stack and the other was the exact width of the desired dado groove. Anyone know this method or have the drawing?

Bob

Bill Huber
12-15-2009, 1:36 PM
I have not use that but a very few times, I now do most all of my dados with the router. I had an old dado set that would not go but 5/8 of an inch so I had to use that method for 3/4 inch stock.

You put the first board on the fence, this is the exact width of the dado set. Make a pass to cut the dado, you want this pass to be the left most point of the dado.

Then put the other one in and make a pass and this should give you the exact width of the dado. Which will have move the dado to the right the difference between the stack and the width of the wood.

So put the first board against the fence and measure from there to the left side of the blade for the start of the dado. Now switch the boards and make the next dado cut.