PDA

View Full Version : Wood Available

Michael E. Thompson
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
For anyone interested in some wood in the northern Indiana area, I have a bunch I would like to get rid of. My sister had a tree blow down in a storm last week. I am not completely sure what kind of wood it is (not good at identifying yet), but my best guess is either pin oak or maybe maple. It is a dead tree, so there are no leaves to help identify. Regardless, the tree was about 40' tall and the sections I have are as large as 18" diam to 14" and fairly straight. There is a lot of good wood here, I plan to keep some of it, but its way more than I can handle right now. All free, just help me get it out of my way.

I will try to get some pics later today.

Thanks
Mike

Michael E. Thompson
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Here are a couple pics. If you can identify what wood it is, that would help out a lot. I don't think its oak because I can pick up each of the pieces by myself, if it were oak, I don't think I could do that. There is much more where this came from.

Thanks
Mike

Danny Hamsley
12-15-2009, 10:40 PM
It is a hickory, probably pignut.

Michael E. Thompson
12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Never herd of 'pignut' hickory. Do you know how it turns?

Thanks
Mike

Michael E. Thompson
12-16-2009, 9:20 AM
I gave a piece to a fellow woodturner and he is telling me ambrosia maple. So I don't know what this stuff is. I will try to get a piece turned by the weekend and post a picture to see if anyone can tell me for sure what this wood is.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Danny Hamsley
12-16-2009, 7:54 PM
Yes, it might be soft maple. The pics make it hard to tell.

Nathan Hawkes
12-16-2009, 8:20 PM
Its definitely not ambrosia maple; not even close.

I'm voting for hickory as well based on the pictures of the bark. However, hickory is quite heavy when fresh. The endgrain picture both confirms my thought of hickory, and makes me think that the wood is spalted and on its way to being rotten; this might be why it's lighter than you expected. Hickory is often quite tight grained.

Michael E. Thompson
12-16-2009, 9:05 PM
My original though was soft maple due to the bark, but thought is was too light as I can pick these up by myself. I am pretty certain it in not pin oak. When Danny suggested hickory, I did some searching and thought the bark matched up nicely.

Nathan, you are likely right with the weight as it has been dead for at least four years. So I am stumped. Hopefully I will know more when it is turned.

Thanks for the input.

Mike