PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw log sled

Bob Hampton
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I need to make a new log sled for my 14" bandsaw with riser on it

would u guys mind posting some pic's of what u use..need some new ideas..I had made the one with the pipe clamp and it worked ok but would like to try something else

thanks and happy holidays

Michael Mills
12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi Bob,
I assume you are thinking of a jig to rip logs lengthwise.
I don’t have a picture but I will try to describe what I would do.
Build a frame of 1X4’s to the length you want and to a height about 2 inches higher than your max cutting depth.
On one side attach two layers of peg board (holes lined up of course)
This will be the face of your jig.
At the bottom, screw the frame securely to a 2X4 to give you a good flat base. An extra diagonal brace from the 2X’s to the 1X’s would provide additional stability.
To use, screw through the holes in the pegboard into your log (use fender washers on the backside of the pegboard). You can place screws at the end if the bowl will be in the center, or in the center if it will have wings. The log will rest on the tabletop.
If you have a fence on your bandsaw, you can add a U bracket to ride over the fence.
If not, just keep the jig against the fence (or clamp). It should feed straight with no "rolling" of the logs. Both hands would be to the left of the blade.
I suggest pegboard because the holes are there for almost any length or height of the log.
If your tabletop is large enough you can slab off the outside edge. Move your fence to maybe cut ½ inch to the right of the pith, cut and move ½ inch to the left. You have then taken out 1" from the pith. If nice wood, save it for small (pen, finials) blanks.
To keep the log securely on the tabletop you may need to remount in order to slab off the other outside edge.
If the log is slightly tapered you can wedge one end before putting the screws in.
This is not an original idea. I added the pegboard but someone else came up with it.
Mike

Ron McKinley
12-16-2009, 8:53 AM
I need to make a new log sled for my 14" bandsaw with riser on it

would u guys mind posting some pic's of what u use..need some new ideas..I had made the one with the pipe clamp and it worked ok but would like to try something else

thanks and happy holidays

Woodmagazine had plans for a very good one a few years back and they sell the plan now. Take a look here: http://www.woodstore.net/fiyoownwoand.html

You can probably figure it out from the photo. There is also a free video you can watch on how to use it.......Ron

Bob Hampton
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys for the info
I watched the video on that one sled but i was thinking that it should grip the log on the ends instead of the side because it would leave screw holes in the side that u would have to deal with if using it for a bowl blank but later realized that u would probably turn most of that away anyway ...DUH..lol
So off to the shop i go and see about this ..lots of cracked logs to deal with

thanks again for ur help

Nathan Hawkes
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Bob, I don't have pics handy, but I made a resaw sled a while back using threaded inserts along the length, for a movable end, and another fixed end, both with threaded inserts with thumbscrews sharpened to a point, holding the ends of the logs. This way you don't have screw holes.

AL Ursich
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a Kit mill and like to quarter my logs first then cut them into slabs. It make it easier I made this insert and cut them easily.

AL