PDA

View Full Version : 2 Maple NE Forms

Mike Minto
12-15-2009, 7:59 AM
A large maple came down in a friend's neighborhood - he called me, and I got 3 logs from it. Wish I had gotten more - it is really excellent wood - there is another standing there, so we'll see :p. Anyway, here are two forms I have made from it so far - kind of a vase, about 7" tall and 8" wide, and a 'rocker', thin form with no foot about 8" wide and almost 4" tall. Funny how the heartwood is green - very wet, threw more water around the hut than anything else I've made. Oh - finished with some shopmade "wipe-on lacquer" - not buffed yet.

Scott Lux
12-15-2009, 9:33 AM
Love the rocker! The vase looks top-heavy to me, but that's personal taste, not design rule. Both look very well done and have a nice finish.

If you think green maple throws some water, wait until you hit apple. But remember, it's not safe to wear a poncho near the lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2009, 4:11 PM
Mike - real nice work on both of these!

I like the vase just because of it's non-traditional form! I have turned a few fairly close to the same shape but never one with a NE. Looks good!

Really like the rocker bowl! Nice form but what really caught my eye is all the curl!

Nice job on these! You should be pleased with the results!

David E Keller
12-15-2009, 5:33 PM
Very cool pair. I'd like to see the walls a bit thinner, but that's purely personal preference. Nice find on the wood. Nice job on the curves.

Mike Minto
12-15-2009, 6:37 PM
thanks all for the kind words. regarding wall thickness, while i like some of my turnings with thicker walls when that is the way i 'design' them (read: the way the wood lets me affect the final shape), i would have these to have been a little thinner, too. for me, they are pretty thin, but being green they were warping as i was turning them - was lucky to get them this thin. sanding helped some :rolleyes:. i am pleased with them, don't get me wrong - all part of the evolution of a turner!

Mike Minto
12-15-2009, 8:38 PM
scott, what does your signature mean? i don't speak latin, but it looks like 'i am ridiculous, therefore, i am' - am i even close? :o

Scott Lux
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
You got it. It's the unofficial family motto. I tell my son, not all dad's are silly, just the good ones.

Mike Minto
12-16-2009, 1:57 PM
that's too funny...lately i've been going with 'i am annoyed - therefore, i must be...' ;)

steven carter
12-16-2009, 2:25 PM
Mike,

I like both bowls, but like the rocker bowl best. I can't really say the walls are to thick because I can't hold the bowl in my hands. I have made bowls with thinner walls and thought I really had something, but when I picked it up, I was disappointed because they just didn't feel right. It is my opinion that a bowl should look and feel right, finding balance between looks and feel is what I am after, and sometimes I actually find it.

Steve