PDA

View Full Version : Funny what you learn at church..

Rick Potter
12-15-2009, 1:57 AM
Sunday, I learned that there were actually FOUR Wise Men. The first three brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myhr. You don't hear much about the fourth one, because he brought a fruitcake.

Rick Potter

David G Baker
12-15-2009, 9:10 AM
Rick,
That same fruitcake is still in circulation, I got it for Christmas last year and I am looking for a favorite person to give it to this year. Interested? :D

David Epperson
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Rick,
That same fruitcake is still in circulation, I got it for Christmas last year and I am looking for a favorite person to give it to this year. Interested? :DThats my observation as well...That Wise Man didn't bring "A" fruitcake...he brought "THE" fruitcake.

Brian Kent
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
David, I would be interested but I am afraid the fruitcake might dull my saw blades.

Phyllis Meyer
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Does anyone actually eat fruitcake?:rolleyes:

Phyllis:)

David Epperson
12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
David, I would be interested but I am afraid the fruitcake might dull my saw blades.
Necessity being the mother of invention...that's probably why there are diamond blades. :D

Pat Germain
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
There are actually a lot of fruitcakes out there. We just dont' see them because they're holding up old cars in front yards and garages.

David Epperson
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
There are actually a lot of fruitcakes out there. We just dont' see them because they're holding up old cars in front yards and garages.
Did you use to live in Arkansas? :D

Matt Meiser
12-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Now you've done it--Dennis Peacock should be locking this thread any minute. :D

David Epperson
12-15-2009, 1:11 PM
Now you've done it--Dennis Peacock should be locking this thread any minute. :D

Could be...I've met Dennis. He might just have some of those "Fruitcake" blocks too. :D

Pat Germain
12-15-2009, 2:48 PM

Close: Oklahoma.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2009, 5:15 PM
Does anyone actually eat fruitcake?:rolleyes:

Phyllis:)

I do, my father did.
My wife bakes them and people have eaten them. One person I used to work with suggested that they should be called gum drop cake because my wife uses gum drops in them. She also uses a lot of candied fruit.

I make a zucchini bread with dried fruit in it that always disappears quickly when placed on a plate in front of people.

I am not sure what the difference is between a bread and a cake, but zucchini bread is what it says on the recipe.

jim

Caspar Hauser
12-15-2009, 6:49 PM
A warm fire, a slice of my grandmothers finest aged fruit cake, (cherries, raisins, sultanas, candied fruit, almonds plenty of sherry, rum etc ) with a slice of mature cheese eaten together, a glass of good port ... heaven, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. :)

keith ouellette
12-15-2009, 9:20 PM
I was the manager of a produce department 20 years ago and every year we had a special display of all the candied fruits for the "fruit cakes"

The stuff looked delicious but experience taught me it wasn't. To me it seemed like semi sweet rubber but we sold a bunch of it every year.

To each his own.

I read a book on hiking the Appalachian trail. The man who wrote it had done the entire trail a number of times and

FRUIT CAKE

was one of his staple items. He said it was dense and had a high value of fat and carbohydrates per ounce making it perfect for a long walking trip where you had to carry your food.

food for thought. Keep a bunch of fruit cake on hand in case society falls apart.

Rick Potter
12-15-2009, 9:49 PM
Actually, my wife used to make a great fruitcake until about 20 years ago, when she got too busy. I really think the reason she quit was that I liked to let it age several months before eating it, it was even better that way. She thought I was crazy. By the way, it was non alcoholic, and wasn't 'wet' like so many. After it got a bit stale, it made fantastic toast.

Store bought fruitcakes? Never....yuch.

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Thats my observation as well...That Wise Man didn't bring "A" fruitcake...he brought "THE" fruitcake.

Booo-Whaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. That one got me David. Classic. :D

Phil Thien
12-16-2009, 8:54 AM
I've had some outstanding fruitcakes. Not purchased at the store, mostly made by relatives/friends that know what they're doing.

But even then, one or two slices a season are enough for me.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2009, 1:13 PM
Actually, my wife used to make a great fruitcake until about 20 years ago, when she got too busy. I really think the reason she quit was that I liked to let it age several months before eating it, it was even better that way. She thought I was crazy. By the way, it was non alcoholic, and wasn't 'wet' like so many. After it got a bit stale, it made fantastic toast.

Store bought fruitcakes? Never....yuch.

Rick Potter

My wife won't let me touch hers until they are properly aged.

I like hers fresh or a year old. Great either way but they are different.

jim

Rod Sheridan
12-16-2009, 2:54 PM
A warm fire, a slice of my grandmothers finest aged fruit cake, (cherries, raisins, sultanas, candied fruit, almonds plenty of sherry, rum etc ) with a slice of mature cheese eaten together, a glass of good port ... heaven, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. :)

Bingo, my wife makes carefully aged fruitcakes, stored all wrapped up in tins in the workshop for a year before they are eaten.

Every few months they get a drink of liqour, then are repackaged for storage.

Heaven.......................Regards, Rod.

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2009, 5:57 PM
Could be...I've met Dennis. He might just have some of those "Fruitcake" blocks too. :D

Now....where did I put all those fruitcake blocks.???? ;) ;)

curtis rosche
12-16-2009, 7:38 PM
best fruit cake takes 6 months to make,,,,, u make it and put it in the basement, then every week or 2 you pour rum and sherry on it, after 6 months,,, its good to eat :)

Brian Kent
12-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Just wanted y'all to know this thread ended up in my sermon on Christmas Sunday.:D

(but I didn't name names)

David Epperson
12-25-2009, 1:20 AM
Just wanted y'all to know this thread ended up in my sermon on Christmas Sunday.:D

(but I didn't name names)You should have...I for one would have liked to have known that last wise mans name. :D

Jim Koepke
12-25-2009, 2:41 AM
Sunday, I learned that there were actually FOUR Wise Men. The first three brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myhr. You don't hear much about the fourth one, because he brought a fruitcake.

Rick Potter

A distant relative of mine claims to know the family that is still regifting that same fruitcake.

jim

Chris S Anderson
12-25-2009, 9:55 AM
THe bible really doens't like fruitcakes in any shape or form. They were really down on them in the OT.

Matt Meiser
12-25-2009, 12:48 PM
My brother served fruitcake at dinner last Monday. He said it was made by monks somewhere in the Ozarks and is supposedly world-famous. I got braces (yes, at 37) 3 weeks ago and darn if the nuts and chewy candy didn't give me an excuse not to partake! The reviews in the car from my wife and daughter were not very good.