PDA

View Full Version : extra 900 sq ft shop space gloat!

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 4:55 AM
Just have to share - or gloat - having a huge garage sale this weekend. Going to free up my 1000 sq. ft basement - which will give me about 900 sq. feet of space to use for shop stuff.:D

I plan on moving my scroll saw, jet mini lathe and my ring master downstairs and buy a small jet dust collector and a ceiling collector.

Moving this stuff downstairs will free up some good space in my 2-car garage for the bigger stuff and will make things a lot easier to move around as necessary. I'll also plan to use a small portion of one wall for storage cabinets for finished projects that will be used for shows, etc. Never have enough room for that type of thing!

Also, plan to set up a small assembly and a finishing area.

Hopefully, after all this moving around - when we get that next hail storm I can move my things around in the garage (everything is on mobile bases thankfully:) ) and at least get one car in!

OK - I just had to share!:D

Betsy

Gary Max
10-08-2004, 5:04 AM
Plus you can sneak down to the basement anytime and make sawdust.
This is always a good thing.
Hope you have a good sale, I got some stuff I need to get rid of also.
Maybe I can talk a neighbor into having a sale and I could just haul my stuff over to there house ?????

Tyler Howell
10-08-2004, 6:22 AM
Price to sell Betsy,
Made over $1k on dupes, unused, and out grown toyls. Had an absolute ball. Kinda hurt my feelings exchanging old friends for cash, but Uncle Bob, just introduced me to some new friends:D :D. Also met a lot of great neighbors that shared my passion for wood chipping and tools. Advertise!!!
And the space:eek: . Why did I wait so long.
One last thing. I never revealed and even directed folks away from the fact that I had a shop on sight. Covered things that weren't for sale and locked the doors to my house. This is a wonderful world Betsy, but it has its challenges. Good luck!;)

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 6:32 AM
Price to sell Betsy,
Made over $1k on dupes, unused, and out grown toyls. Had an absolute ball. Kinda hurt my feelings exchanging old friends for cash, but Uncle Bob, just introduced me to some new friends:D :D. Also met a lot of great neighbors that shared my passion for wood chipping and tools. Advertise!!!
And the space:eek: . Why did I wait so long.
One last thing. I never revealed and even directed folks away from the fact that I had a shop on sight. Covered things that weren't for sale and locked the doors to my house. This is a wonderful world Betsy, but it has its challenges. Good luck!;)
Tyler - one good thing about my place is I have a gate on my driveway so no one can come in until I'm ready - and that won't be until the house is locked and the shop is closed. No one will know about what I have around that's for sure. I learned my lesson when I sold my house in Indiana and virtually sold everything in it with an auctioneer - I had one guy actually try to shove open my back door - he said - it was an auction - so everything was fair game - he was offended that the house was locked!!! Go figure.

Another fella took a look in the windows - saw my mother's piano and kept asking me how much I wanted for it - told him it was not in the auction -that's why it was still in the house - wouldn't take no for an answer - even explained it's sentimental value, ya da ya da - had to call the neighborhood cop friend to get him to leave!

Hopefully will make enough money on the sale to buy a few new friends - we shall see - can't wait to get into the basement though and make some sawdust!!!

Betsy

James Carmichael
10-08-2004, 6:50 AM
Just have to share - or gloat - having a huge garage sale this weekend. Going to free up my 1000 sq. ft basement - which will give me about 900 sq. feet of space to use for shop stuff.:D

I plan on moving my scroll saw, jet mini lathe and my ring master downstairs and buy a small jet dust collector and a ceiling collector.

Moving this stuff downstairs will free up some good space in my 2-car garage for the bigger stuff and will make things a lot easier to move around as necessary. I'll also plan to use a small portion of one wall for storage cabinets for finished projects that will be used for shows, etc. Never have enough room for that type of thing!

Also, plan to set up a small assembly and a finishing area.

Hopefully, after all this moving around - when we get that next hail storm I can move my things around in the garage (everything is on mobile bases thankfully:) ) and at least get one car in!

OK - I just had to share!:D

Betsy

Just what part of Cowtown are you in, Betsy? Basements are about as common as igloos in this part of the country.

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 7:58 AM
Just what part of Cowtown are you in, Betsy? Basements are about as common as igloos in this part of the country.
East side - I got REAL, REAL lucky - have a great house with lots of space. A lot more of it after this weekend!!

Betsy

Kelly C. Hanna
10-08-2004, 8:07 AM
Great gloat, I could sure use another 900 sq.ft. Basements are rare in these parts..are you on a hillside?

Frank Pellow
10-08-2004, 8:18 AM
Thats a LOT of extra space Betsy. Congratulations and please have fun filling it.

p.s. How many of your 514 pencils will you allocate to the new space.

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 8:21 AM
Great gloat, I could sure use another 900 sq.ft. Basements are rare in these parts..are you on a hillside?
Not really a hillside - but higher ground than most. It's a nice space - I need to put in some new lights and a few more outlets - but other than cleaning it up a bit - it's ready for some use!!!

Kelly - I'll let you know about the compressor Sunday night.

Betsy

Michael Stafford
10-08-2004, 8:24 AM
You folks with your 900 foot shop additions and Mini-max this and Mini-max that make me so jealous.

Here I am in my dinky little twenty year old shop with rusty old hand-me-down and yard sale tools. Is it any wonder that all I can make is bluebird houses that leak and no self respecting bird will move into them.

The last time I bought a new tool George Bush was president. Or maybe it was George Bush. I get them mixed up.

Good deal Betsy. I am glad you found the space. Where I live the water table is 18" below ground. No basements here so whatever space you have is above ground. When you do take up residence below ground you are in no shape for woodworking :eek: You do get a lot of compliments like "Don't he look natural?" :rolleyes:

Dan Gill
10-08-2004, 8:50 AM
A basement in Ft. Worth, and 900 extra sq. ft. to boot! I'm jealous! You wouldn't perhaps be selling any TOOLS at that garage sale? I might make the trip from Haltom City . . .

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 1:26 PM
A basement in Ft. Worth, and 900 extra sq. ft. to boot! I'm jealous! You wouldn't perhaps be selling any TOOLS at that garage sale? I might make the trip from Haltom City . . .
Dan - the tool selection is pretty minimal - mostly just odds and ends of no value to anyone. The only big things I have are a 5hp compressor that I'm standing firm at $200 for - if no takers - Kelly from the creek gets it and a dual bench grinder that I'm asking $60 for - other than that if all you'd be interested in is tools then it would not be worth the trip. However, if you want books - goodness do I have those - no woodworking books though - gotta keep those.

Frank - I'm starting a new collection of pencils for the basement - I plan to only start with five or so and see where it goes from there!

will let you know how it all works out.

Betsy

Dan Gill
10-08-2004, 2:06 PM
Books I have. Lots and lots of books. I think we live in a library . . .

Oh, well. Can't win them all.

Frank Pellow
10-09-2004, 2:05 AM

Frank - I'm starting a new collection of pencils for the basement - I plan to only start with five or so and see where it goes from there!

will let you know how it all works out.

Betsy

Only 5 pencils. Sounds like you are really trying to kick the habit.

Betsy, please send me info re both your shop sizes , so that I can add you and your shop to the table in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12202