PDA

View Full Version : New Band Saw report

Bill Jepson
12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Group,
I just recieved my new band saw, a Grizzly G0636X. (17" Ultimate band saw) I am very impressed with the level of quality Grizzly is providing with this saw. One thing to mention is that this thing is very HEAVY and if you buy one you will need some kind of lift to move it around until the casters or base is in place. The saw came well set up in the crate. I needed only clean and assemble a few parts and it is good to go. Table is stout and very flat, and has an excellent finish.
Ok now for my only gripe. The blade that is shipped with the saw would have to be considered a placeholder at best. Used to check tracking and squareness to the table OK, but I wouldn't suggest cutting much with it. This seems to be true of a lot of saws even much more expensive ones. Why not check with the customer to see if they might want a carbide blade they could resaw with to start with? Even if there is a $$ additional I will need to order a Tri-master or Timberwolf before I can realize the potential of the basic saw.
Other than the sub-standard basic blade I think the saw is excellent. It is certainly built like a tank, at 675 pounds you will need a base or casters to move it. The trunnion is cast iron and very stout, with a rack to adjust angle. No tools needed the table has a locking lever and is very stable once locked. Adjusting angle is easy peesy. No bump and pray needed. Can't wait to get a better blade on it. I'll report on the smoothness once I get a good blade on it. It cuts fine now, and has tons of power but the standard blades finish isn't impressive. More later.

Bill J

Harold Burrell
12-15-2009, 7:49 AM
Congrats!

Thank you for the report.

But...I will have you know...I am oh so very jealous.

Mike Cruz
12-15-2009, 8:13 AM
Yeah, I think jealous is an appropriate word...

Bill, as many others have suggested, go to http://www.suffolkmachinery.com
to get your Timberwolfs. They have a buy 3, get one free offer. Just got mine. The folks there are very helpful. If you know what you want, they are fine with that. If you don't know what you want, they are happy to help you figure out what will best suit your needs.

Also, while most companies that have a buy 3 get one free deal will make you pay for the 3 most expensive and give you the least expensive one free, Suffolk does it opposite. They gave me the most expensive one free.

Great company. Ordered on Monday. They said they would be here on Friday, and they were.

Go get some good blades and make some dust!

Curt Harms
12-15-2009, 8:30 AM
Group,
Ok now for my only gripe. The blade that is shipped with the saw would have to be considered a placeholder at best. Used to check tracking and squareness to the table OK, but I wouldn't suggest cutting much with it. This seems to be true of a lot of saws even much more expensive ones.
Bill J

Ya got a free nail finder:cool:. Congrats on the saw, sounds like a good one. A lot of people seem to like BiMetal blades as a compromise on price, longevity and cut quality. That may be my next blade if my piddlin' Rikon 14" will tension a BiMetal adequately. You have the saw to run any blade you want. Laguna was doing a good sale on carbide (I think) a little bit ago. Don't know if it's still going on or not.

glenn bradley
12-15-2009, 9:37 AM
Congrats on the saw and +1 on the free nail finder. I knew my saw was coming so I had blades waiting. I used the factory blade as an initial shakedown tool. It has hung above the garage door waiting for some reclaimed lumber to nail-search ever since.

Cameron Reddy
12-15-2009, 1:48 PM
Do you guys consider this saw to be superior to the Laguna HD16 and the MM16? I see that it is heavier than those reputed machines... And what about the XB? I always prefer buying from countries that don't have nuclear missiles aimed at us, but if they are actually making a better tool...

Did you consider the XB?

Cary Falk
12-15-2009, 2:03 PM
[QUOTE=Cameron Reddy;1284007]I always prefer buying from countries that don't have nuclear missiles aimed at us, but if they are actually making a better tool...
QUOTE]

Taiwan has nuclear missiles aimed at us?:eek:

Cameron Reddy
12-15-2009, 2:09 PM
[QUOTE=Cameron Reddy;1284007]I always prefer buying from countries that don't have nuclear missiles aimed at us, but if they are actually making a better tool...
QUOTE]

Taiwan has nuclear missiles aimed at us?:eek:

Well, I suppose that is a good question. Perhaps mistakenly, I thought that Grizzly stuff was made in China.

Ben West
12-15-2009, 2:48 PM
A huge percentage of Grizzly's upper end tools are made in Taiwan, not China.

Mac McQuinn
12-15-2009, 5:21 PM
Bill,
That's one sweet looking Bandsaw:cool:, Congrats!

According to the Grizzly Comparison chart, all bandsaws listed are made in Taiwan.

Mac

Cameron Reddy
12-15-2009, 5:29 PM
Bill,
That's one sweet looking Bandsaw:cool:, Congrats!

According to the Grizzly Comparison chart, all bandsaws listed are made in Taiwan.

Mac

That's great to know! I happily stand corrected!

So, is this as good as the European saws?

Harold Burrell
12-15-2009, 7:22 PM
I always prefer buying from countries that don't have nuclear missiles aimed at us...

Yeah.

And speaking of that...I just had some rather atomic General Tso's chicken at our local buffet.

Yowza!

Now I am awaiting the inevitable nuclear fallout...:eek:

jerry nazard
12-15-2009, 8:33 PM
Yeah.

And speaking of that...I just had some rather atomic General Tso's chicken at our local buffet.

Yowza!

Now I am awaiting the inevitable nuclear fallout...:eek:

I had the Moo Shu Pork. The fallout occurs after the blast....

Nelson Howe
12-16-2009, 8:37 AM
laguna is still doing the carbide sawblade sale. It's around $79 for the blade. Tell them you're a smc member. I just got an email about it two days ago. I deleted it because I already have one, so no longer have the exact specs.

Nelson

denis tuomey
12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Bill, congrats on your BS, you're gonna love it! I recieved my Grizzly 514x2 in August this year, set up was not to bad, had to spend a lil x time squareing up the table, but everything else went pretty smooth. One thing I did want to mention, I have noticed that most all creekers who have recieved or own a BS have said nothing good about the blade that is sent with the saw, so when I ordered mine I also ordered the 3+1 from Timberwolfe. I set the saw up with the blade that came with it, I dont know if its beginners luck or what but the 3/4" blade that came with the saw cuts Great!:). I have done a fair amount of cutting with it. When Resawing it cuts same thickness top n bottom and follows the line to a "T". I have sliced as thin as 1/32" with this blade, although the cut seemes a lil rough, this is my first Big BS and I wanted to familiarize myself with this blade B4 I used a Timberwolfe so I could see the difference. Like I said :confused: I don't know what I did wrong/right, but the factory blade has preformed quite well, Maybe they put a good one on it by mistake. Enjoy your BS!

Cameron Reddy
12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Still waiting for comments comparing this saw to the Laguna and MM...

And, for that matter, since I've not read any comments about the 513 and 514 line of saws being unable to handle hard and thick woods, I'd like to know why folks buy the newer 636 saws.

Are my questions too much of a thread jack? I'll start a new thread if you guys think so. And I apologize.

Cameron Reddy

Bill Jepson
01-07-2010, 3:11 AM
That's great to know! I happily stand corrected!

So, is this as good as the European saws?

Cameron,
I would say yes, but I could be considered biased! I haven't used the Laguna but have the MM 16. I'd say the guides go to the MM though the Griz guides are more than adaquate. Supprizingly the Table finish and flatness is better on the Grizzly, and on the 636X it is one beefy unit. Once my new blade arrives I give a proper evaluation. Oh and the thing to remember is that the Grizzly IS $1000 cheaper.
Bill

Bill Jepson
01-07-2010, 3:21 AM
:)
Still waiting for comments comparing this saw to the Laguna and MM...

And, for that matter, since I've not read any comments about the 513 and 514 line of saws being unable to handle hard and thick woods, I'd like to know why folks buy the newer 636 saws.

Are my questions too much of a thread jack? I'll start a new thread if you guys think so. And I apologize.

Cameron Reddy

Cameron, Sorry for the delayed reply I was visiting family out of state. I responded to one of your earlier posts. Responding to the TJ I am doing a bunch of re-sawing of White oak recovered from my own property and went with "the last saw I'd have to buy". The posts from the other Grizzly users were what encourged me to go for the 636X. I don't regret the choice. I'm sure the other saws will work fine, but will just be a bit slower while doing it. I was concerned to be sure I could properly tension a 1" resaw blade too.
Bill