PDA

View Full Version : W&H Moulder

Aaron Berk
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Any one know much about these?

http://savannah.craigslist.org/tls/1510356393.html

george wilson
12-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I could never see why those are so expensive. Even the imports aren't cheap.

As for the pluses,you can mold a circular shaped picture or other frame with one by making a plywood track to trap the frame in as it goes around.

I've never had one. I don't do that much cabinet or frame work.

ed vitanovec
12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
These are nice machines and the company williams & hussey has been around for about 55 years. You can call them with the serial number and they can tell you how old the machine is. I bought one similar to this one except it was manual feed, I have been rebuilding it and adding the variable speed gear box to it. I have not used it yet. The plain jane model new is selling for about $2000 with a stand plus shipping.

Ed

Glen Butler
12-14-2009, 11:57 PM
That one better not cost you more than $50. Otherwise they are a handy machine. I actually have the shopfox knockoff and in works excellently. No tearout even on knotty crappy wood. So I imagine the Williams and Hussey should be an even better machine.

Glen Butler
12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
New post rather than edit. You can see the state of the one in your post compared to one that is new. The seller is asking way too much for it. I picked up my lightly used shopfox from a dealer for $700. That thing is all apart and there isn't even a stand. Making a stand for it that would allow the motor to operate the way is should would take you a lot of time. Maybe you could offer $100 for it. But $850, no way.

Neal Clayton
12-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I could never see why those are so expensive. Even the imports aren't cheap.

As for the pluses,you can mold a circular shaped picture or other frame with one by making a plywood track to trap the frame in as it goes around.

I've never had one. I don't do that much cabinet or frame work.

i suspect, because molders by design have to be pretty stout. there's way more resistance and therefore, more torque required to cut molding profiles than simple planing.

cutting molding is about the most violent thing i've done to a board.

despite the relatively small size of light molders compared to a planer, they still have to be quite heavy, lots of precision cast parts. without the weight they can literally generate enough motor resistance to bounce off the ground (yes, i've mis-set the height on my woodmaster 18" molder before and bounced it about 4" in the air, it was enough to put the 5hp motor in a split-second bind. "frightening" doesn't do that moment justice ;)).

Aaron Berk
12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys, I think I have seen Norm use a newer red one once. I've got a 15" planermoulder already but this thing looked too interesting to not ask questions about. Glad I did.
I'll let some one else have this "gem":rolleyes:

Glen Butler
12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
cutting molding is about the most violent thing i've done to a board.

I like this line. The first board I ran through my moulder I thought my machine was falling apart. I can't believe how much noise it made. But then I saw it emerge in perfect form and all was good.

Chip Lindley
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
At $850 this one is wayy over-priced. No power feed or curved moulding fixture. No cutters except for the straight planer knives. No stand! Sheesh! But, you pay for the W&H name same as you pay for the Powermatic name, over nearly identical clone brands.

I pounced on a very nice Shop Fox moulder with variable speed, curved fixture and an arm-load of various knives for $675 on the KC CraigsList. I'm Happy!