PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Nova lathes

Jake Helmboldt
12-14-2009, 9:27 PM
I'm looking for feedback on the quality of Nova DVR lathes since they started making them in China (~3 years ago). I'm particularly wondering how well the electronics and keypads hold up. I've had less than stellar performance from Chinese made electricals and soft-touch pads on appliances in the past few years, so I''m not thrilled with the prosepect of more Chinese made tools. The fact that no cost savings seems to have been passed along to the consumer doesn't help.

The DVR size is really attractive due to space limitations in my shop. Is the Jet 1642 still being made in Taiwan? Oh, and what the heck is up with Grizzly introducing their new lathe (G0698) and then pulling it off the site after a week?

JH

Alan Trout
12-14-2009, 9:40 PM
I love mine and would recommend it to everyone. I built a very heavy stand for mine and the stability and capability is phenomenal. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

The quality is very good. I have used mine a lot and have not had any trouble with the keypad or the electronics. The main reason I bought mine was the footprint. I have turned on a regular basis on the 1642 and much prefer my DVR on its stand. I think you would be more than satisfied.

Good Luck

Alan

Bill Bolen
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I've only had mine since this past July but so far it has been flawless...Bill...

Jake Helmboldt
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Alan, your stand has been one of the motivators to consider the DVR; you did an impressive job. I'd be curious to hear of your thoughts on the 1642 as compared to the DVR.

The Jet has some impressive qualities but the size would make my already tight shop, err uh family garage, even tighter.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Jake I had the same problem. I have turned on both and would take either one. Both are excellent but I chose the Nova because of the small footprint. Have had it near 3 yrs now with not a dimes worth of problems.

Richard Madison
12-14-2009, 10:54 PM
One of my favorite features of the Jet is the ability to shove the tailstock completely out of the way when the space is needed for hollowing, manually or with a rig. Granted it clogs up a lot of realestate.

Alan Trout
12-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I agree that having the tailstock out of the way is really nice and that is where the DVR really shines. With the the swing away hinge and bed section it gets completely out of the way better than any lathe I have seen. What else is neat about the hinge is that you can swing the bed segment against the back of the lathe and it swings that segment down at a slight angle so there is no interference with the banjo or anything else. So you get a full length bed when you need it and when you don't it is out of the way.

What I don't like about the 1642 is the hand wheel and that the motor does not free wheel like the DVR. I guess that is just something I have gotten use to on the DVR and I really like it. Also IMHO the banjo moves with less effort on the DVR and less effort to position where I like.

I here people complain all the time about swivel head lathes. However that is for me one of the best features for a bowl turner. just swivel to the first or second detent and it just makes for a very natural comfortable position to work on the inside of a bowl. I personally prefer it to a sliding headstock for the size and type of work that I do. Re-alignment has never been an issue for me.

The 1642 that I have used is a 1.5HP so of course there is more power and I also like some of the safety catch features of the DVR. It was a big help when I first started turning on it and has become a nice safety backup to have.

Fit and finish on both are pretty much the same nothing really to mark either off for.

I think both are fine machines. The DVR packs a lot of lathe into a compact footprint that most turners can afford. It also allows you to determine how heavy a machine you want or need. If you are doing bottle stoppers and pens you don't need a 600 pound stand but if you want to put 100 pound piece of wood on the lathe the lathe is capable without problems as long as it is mounted to a substantial base.

I like to tinker with machines and see how I can make them better. That sometimes for me is as fun and satisfying as turning a nice vase. I have a couple more Ideas that I am going to do when I get the time and money and will post pictures when that happens. It could be a month or a year. Just depends on how life goes.

If I can be of any further help just let me know.

Alan