PDA

View Full Version : faceplate and toolrest recommendations

David Warkentin
12-14-2009, 9:26 PM
My face plate broke tonight and the chunk of wood took the toolrest with it when it fell. Glad I wasn't in the way! Post is 1" and spindle is 1X8. Thanks, David

Bill Bolen
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
The Robust tool rests have had a lot of great comments. So much so that I asked Santa for one. Hope I've been a good boy. I use the3" facplate that came with my Nova. It is machine steel rather than cast and sure feels solid...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I also use machined steel faceplates and Robust tool rests.

Richard Madison
12-14-2009, 11:06 PM
David, could you post some additional details of what happened, and some pictures would be good?

Jim Sebring
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
One of the first things I added to my new Nova DVR xp last year was a 6 inch Robust Comfort tool rest. The hardened rod on top just doesn't get dinged up like the usual cast iron rests.

I have several of Don Pencil's aluminum faceplates. They work fine; I only wish they were tapped for a grub screw so I could run them in reverse without a pucker factor.

Ron Bontz
12-15-2009, 9:14 AM
+1 for the robust. I just wish they made a longer one.:)

David Warkentin
12-15-2009, 6:23 PM
No pictures but I guess it was too much weight and vibration for a cast iron faceplate. Grizzly is warrantying (sp?) a new faceplate and toolrest. David

Dolan Brown
12-15-2009, 8:51 PM
+2 on the Robust tool rest. I have the 6" and 12" and think they are great. Also use the Don Pencil faceplates.

Ryan Baker
12-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Another vote for the Robust toolrests.

The Don Pencil faceplates are nice, and relatively inexpensive. I use a number of those. Some people don't like aluminum plates because they sometimes get stuck and are hard to remove (I haven't had a problem with them). The Oneway stainless steel or cast iron plates are probably the best, but you pay for it.

DON PENCIL
12-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I too use and recommend the Robust tool rest. Although I supply Robust with faceplates, I use the tool rests because they are great. I have purchased them all and love 'em. I use them exclusively.
As for the faceplates, there is no advantage to using steel or stainless steel faceplates over aluminum. The aluminum faceplates do not distort or flex as some may think and because of the nature of the metal it will actually absorb viberation. Hard stainless is very expensive and transfers any viberation from the wood through the lathe. After 10 years of manufacturing them to the best of my knowledge an aluminum faceplate has never worn out, failed do to fatigue, or broken because of stress, weight, or impact. The screws would rip out of the wood before the facplate could possibly flex or fail.
Jim, get in touch and I will solve your reverse turning issues. No more "pucker". :)

And thank you all for your kind comments on behalf of myself and Brent (Robust Tools).

Be Well,

Jim Sebring
12-17-2009, 1:49 AM
Don, we can chat when you come to demo at the Mt. Vernon NWW Club meeting in February.

DON PENCIL
12-17-2009, 1:40 PM
Jim,
So we shall. Faceplates just happen to be on the agenda that day.
Looking forward to seeing you there. We will spend the demo time on faceplates, buffing in general and buffing various buffed finishes.

Be Well,
Don

Keith Harrell
12-17-2009, 2:33 PM
+3
I just received my 9" comfort robust tool rest and don't believe what a difference it makes. I will be be looking at the 12" model after Christmas if I have any money left. I now will be taking my gouges and tool rest when I take my next class.

David Warkentin
12-17-2009, 6:36 PM
Thanks for telling us about aluminum plates, Don. I do have a 3" one of your designs. Works great! David

DON PENCIL
12-17-2009, 6:43 PM
Thank you Davied

Ryan Baker
12-17-2009, 7:27 PM
All this Don Pencil talk reminds me that I need to go order some PL buffing stuff ...