PDA

View Full Version : Making Wooden Planes

Gil Knowles
12-14-2009, 8:29 PM
Hi
I am interested in amking a wooden plane and wondered if anyone can recommend a good book on it.
Also I was looking over the Hock Tools website and see that they sell a wooden plane kit as well as instructions for making a number of wooden planes. Has anyone made a plane from their kit or plans and care to comment on it.

Many thanks

Gil

Robert Rozaieski
12-14-2009, 8:39 PM
Depends on whether you want to make a traditional plane or a Krenov style. For the Krenov style, David Finck has just republished his book "Making and Mastering Wooden Planes (http://www.davidfinck.com/book.htm)". For traditional wooden planes, John Whelan's "Making Traditional Wooden Planes (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Traditional-Wooden-Planes-Whelan/dp/1879335697)" is tough to beat.

Casey Gooding
12-14-2009, 8:49 PM
I second "Making and Mastering Wood Planes". It's an excellent book.

Brian Kent
12-14-2009, 9:02 PM
Same: "Making and Mastering Wood Planes". You will need a good blade (such as a Hock) but the rest of the kit is just a convenience and not needed. You can cut the angles on your own wood and that is half the fun.

Brian

Pam Niedermayer
12-14-2009, 9:06 PM
I'd recommend that you also take a look at one or both of the two dvds on making molding planes, by Larry Williams for traditional and Todd Herrli for laminated. My guess is that you don't want to start with molding planes, but you'd learn tasks suitable for any plane.

Pam

David Gendron
12-14-2009, 9:49 PM
I bought all the plans from Ron, and they are great plans, realy clear and full size. if you go with Finck book, you don't need the Hock plans but it is a must if you are interested in different style of plane other than a smoother or Jack!
The Hock irons are also the best for the $$ IMO!

Bob Glenn
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I just made my first plane using the Finck book. I ordered a piece of A2 tool steel, eighteen by two inches, and a quarter inch thick. This is very hard steel to work even before hardening, probably around 40 Rockwell. I cut it into three pieces, each 6 inched long. I started grinding the rough bevel on one end with an angle grinder, and it got harder and harder to remove stock. I finally figured out I was "work harding" the steel. So I cut off the end that was hardened about two inches and mounted it in my mill, and milled a 30 degree bevel on all three pieces. Next I ground a profile on the top of blade that sticks up out of the plane. After that I ground bevel to a precise angle on my Tormek sharpener, and took them to work for hardening in our autoclave. Gradual heating over several hours to 1750F, then a gradual cooling, then tempering at 400F degrees. I honed the bevel to 1000 grit on wet dry sandpaper, then put a micro(macro?) bevel on it with 1500 grit paper.

I ended up with a fine jointer plane that will take a shaving of .002". I used a piece clear cherry log that I had been saving for a special occasion.

In the future, I'll buy the plane irons, probably from Hock. By the time I paid the shipping on the tool steel, I had about 25 bucks in each iron.

One nice thing about making wood planes, if the plane doesn't turn out so good, the iron can be used on another plane. Cheap fun.

One problem though, I'm so proud of my new plane and it's so pretty, I don't want to use. My wife wants me to enter it in an art show. As soon as I get pictures, I'll post them on this site. Have fun!

David Gendron
12-15-2009, 1:12 AM
Ok Bob, Let see that pretty plane of yours!!! We all like, love pictures, espacialy if you happen to have some of the construction progress!

Bob Haverstock
12-15-2009, 5:15 AM
I just made my first plane using the Finck book. I ordered a piece of A2 tool steel, eighteen by two inches, and a quarter inch thick.
I ended up with a fine jointer plane that will take a shaving of .002". I used a piece clear cherry log that I had been saving for a special occasion.

One problem though, I'm so proud of my new plane and it's so pretty, I don't want to use. My wife wants me to enter it in an art show. As soon as I get pictures, I'll post them on this site. Have fun!

Bob,

Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can see one of your new planes while your are on the "Commons" next spring. I really enjoyed meeting you last spring.

Bob Haverstock

James Carmichael
12-15-2009, 8:19 AM
I'm probably one of the few who does not recommend the Finck book. It may be fun reading and give you some ideas, but don't buy it with the notion that it will walk you through building a wood plane, it doesn't.

Some of Finck's methods of work are downright goofy, IMO, like building a jig for hand-held routing of the groove for the cap-iron screw, which is easily done on a router table. Or free-hand cutting the stock on a bandsaw and truing with a block plane.

There's an abundance of free tutorials on the internet, Lowes even had one at one time, and DIY has the David Marks episode where he makes one.

Just an FYI, I buy the Hock irons from Craftsman Studio, they're slightly discounted. Finck also offers them in A2 steel, IIRC.

Ron Petley
12-15-2009, 9:52 AM
Bob:
You should be able to find a source of local steel for a good price. With your tools and Heat Treating you could make some nice irons.
If you did 3 or 4 in one batch you would have a good set of blades. Makingf the iron is just another part of making the plane and enjoying useing something you made yourself.
Cheers Ron

David Gendron
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I made my first plane using the Fink book and IMO it did walk me thrue the process...

Sean Hughto
12-15-2009, 1:53 PM
James, we all have our methods. There are many ways to solve most woodworking problems or perform most woodworking taks. I think using a router at all is kind of goofy, when the groove can be made with hand tools, for example. Actually, I don't really think it's goofy, but hand tools are another straightforward way of getting the job done. And that's my point: many ways, all valid.

Tristan Williams
12-15-2009, 6:34 PM
I, too, think the Finck book walked me through the process. Sure, I adapted the process a heap (I used all hand tools, for starters), but there is a wealth of information in that book for the beginner, and the core of the process is identical no matter what tools you go about it. He does go into details about his own methods, and walks you through those, if you care to do it his way. Theres lots of handy extra information, particularly for someone without much experience sharpening and using hand planes. I found it incredibly useful, as someone more down the novice end of the skill scale.
Definitely a recommended purchase for any budding planemaker. Not comprehensive, by any means, but useful nonetheless.

Bob Glenn
12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
I just used the Finck book as a guide like I used Dunbars book on Windsor chair making. I've found not everything written works for me, so I modify where I find advantageous and prudent.

As soon as I get back home, I'll take some pictures of the plane too pretty to use and post. I really enjoy this website and all contributors. Keep it up.

As far as taking the plane to the next eighteen century re-enactment, I don't know if it would be period correct, however, I certainly enjoy talking with fellow creekers when they identify themselves. It a good life.

Bob Glenn

James Carmichael
12-16-2009, 8:13 AM
I, too, think the Finck book walked me through the process.

I did say I am probably the only person in this forum who thinks otherwise.

I suppose it could do the job for those more patient than me:D

Gil Knowles
12-16-2009, 2:28 PM
Hi
Many thanks for all the replies.
I will be putting in an order for David Finck's book and a Hock blade with Lee Valley. I may also purchase all the plans that Hock Tools sells.
If anyone has made their own planes I would love to see pictures.

Again Thanks

Gil