PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Collaborative Vessels

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-14-2009, 7:19 PM
Here's a couple of Hard Maple Collaborative pieces that my friend & I made together. So whats your thoughts on these? There from about 10" to 14" tall

Dennis Ford
12-14-2009, 7:27 PM
They all have excellent shapes. The coloring work appears to be very well done. My personal preference would have been a clear (or almost clear) finish.

David Christopher
12-14-2009, 7:37 PM
Joe, I think these are very nice and pleasing to the eye...Im glad to see something different

Bill Bolen
12-14-2009, 8:11 PM
Joe, I'm not usually a big fan of dyed pieces but these made a believer out of me. they are gorgeous,,,love the form too...Bill..

Terry Quiram
12-14-2009, 8:12 PM
Joe

You really have a good mentor. Steve has the most impressive finishs I have ever seen. Great work. I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2009, 8:16 PM
Joe,

Excellent form on all 3 vessels. The finishes on all 3 are beautiful and intriguing!

Thom Sturgill
12-14-2009, 8:31 PM
Form is great, I like the blue best for form. Finish looks great, but I'm not sure about the dye jobs. Generally, I like the treatment at the top more than the bottoms. If I were commissioning one, I would like the shape of the blue one with the top dyed like the green one but in the red dye, Leave the bottom natural. But that's just me.

How are you applying the color? looks like a dip, with sharp transitions. Perhaps a spray with tinted lacquer would allow for a smoother transition.

All in all, very nice pieces.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-14-2009, 8:34 PM
Joe

You really have a good mentor. Steve has the most impressive finishes I have ever seen. Great work. I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite.
Terry Your so very right, on both accounts.
Steve has really taken me in and taught me so very very much you wouldn't believe. From technique to forms, to harvesting wood to the rough turning, hollowing, drying process, finish turning,& even his sanding & finishing techniques
I've been very fortunate to say the least.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-14-2009, 8:38 PM
Thom
Thanks for looking.
The color is all airbrushed acrylic paints. Not dye.

Mike Minto
12-14-2009, 8:43 PM
Joe, my thought is...Magoo, you've done it again! I must say while I think many people here are posting some excellent turnings, IMO you and Bill Bolen set the standard for hollow forms here on the Creek. Ordinarily I prefer my art as it comes from nature, but now and again see some that benefitted from the addition of color. Excellent forms, and the colors look great, as well. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say the first one, as the teriffic wood grain and green go so well together.

George Morris
12-14-2009, 9:19 PM
Joe they are beauties! Great pieces you both have done a great job! G

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Beauties Joe. Really like the colors.

alex carey
12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice job, blue is my favorite.

David Reed
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I have to agree with the sentiment here in that I generally prefer natural finishes, but these are indeed gorgeous and love the forms.
David

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Joe - really like the forms on these - especially the blue vase. I like your use of color but find I really like the portion of each vase where the color is more of a tint and you can still see the wood grain. Just a personal preference kind of thing! Sure got that gloss figured out! Very impressive work!

Curt Fuller
12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Wow, they're all pretty but the green one really got my attention.

John Keeton
12-15-2009, 6:30 AM
I vote for the blue one - the shape/form seems more pleasing, and of the three, that one has the better color application IMO.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-15-2009, 3:25 PM
Joe, my thought is...Magoo, you've done it again! I must say while I think many people here are posting some excellent turnings, IMO you and Bill Bolen set the standard for hollow forms here on the Creek. Ordinarily I prefer my art as it comes from nature, but now and again see some that benefited from the addition of color. Excellent forms, and the colors look great, as well. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say the first one, as the terrific wood grain and green go so well together.
Thanks for your kind words Mike. I do have to agree that there are many people here that do excellent work yourself included. This Forum offers a lot of inspiration to a lot of us to try to push our work to the next level. From the beginner to the advanced turner This place seems to have something for everyone:)

David E Keller
12-15-2009, 5:29 PM
Very pleasing forms and an absolutely perfect, high-gloss finish. I personally don't like the coloring, but it's very nicely done. Thanks for posting.

gary butcher
12-15-2009, 5:38 PM
They all look great. Love the colors and the finish is absolutely flawless.

beautiful work.