PDA

View Full Version : Shucks

Michael Mills
12-14-2009, 6:36 PM
Shucks, I shoulda gone with the Nova DVR rather than the 1624.
I coulda done this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDQQQww1AA

Mike

Hilel Salomon
12-14-2009, 6:54 PM
Very Neat,

I'm not sure that you can't do that with a 1624 though. Everything but the head stock was custom built.
The question is how much time do you want to devote to that? That would go down as project 1500 for me in the future.

Regards, Hilel.

Wally Dickerman
12-14-2009, 7:47 PM
Impressive operation and quite ingenious. I don't care much for his forms. Tapering a bit toward the bottom with a nice curve would look better to me.

I find it scary to see someone turning something like this wearing loose fitting gloves. I wear gloves sometimes when the wood is dry and hot but mine are tight fitting golf gloves.

Wally

Scott Hackler
12-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah I dont like his form much at all, but am very impressed by his method for getting there. Thats the greatest thing about watching other turners, learning new techniques and stealing their ideas!

alex carey
12-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Im not big on his form either but its pretty frickin cool to turn something that big.

Jim Sebring
12-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I have a DVR, but it's in one piece and can only handle a 16 x 42 inch inboard blank. I also have a Stihl roughing gouge like he uses.

I guess I can't really play in his league - 'cause I don't have a hydraulic lift table for my blanks :D

Tom Baugues
12-15-2009, 5:06 PM
How does one even start to think about doing something like that? That's really thinking outside the box. Pretty cool! I bet they sell well.

Tom

Now I'll go out and turn myself a ....um.....pen :D

Ryan Baker
12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm actually not all that impressed with his Stihl roughing gouge. Frankly, it didn't look particularly effective (nor safe) -- definitely more for testosterone points.

Now if he had turned the inside of those, I would be impressed -- but he just leaves them rough.