PDA

View Full Version : "Hey kid - all your friends are doin' it!"

John Keeton
12-14-2009, 5:02 PM
Isn't that what all the drug dealers say to their targets?? Just tryin' to hook one more....

Well, I came in from work today and there is this box sitting on the counter. My first thought is that the new toys I have ordered should not have come in that quick.

Then, I looked at the box, and the mailing label says..........
KEN FITZGERALD!!!

What could Ken be sending me? So, I open the box, and...........

Just like a drug dealer - tryin' to hook one more!!!:D:D:D

So, this thing is already round - what do I do with it now??:confused::confused:

Thanks Ken!! I really do appreciate it, and I very much appreciate the friendly camaraderie with this group. You have been so helpful (and, yes, a bit devious!) in getting me started in this turning thing.

Agents of the VORTEX - all of ya!!;):D

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-14-2009, 5:04 PM
Just remember, John - "the first one is free"....:D

Brian Effinger
12-14-2009, 5:08 PM
Bwaaahahahahahaha!!! Good one Ken. Nothing like a little push to get someone to dive in. :D

Tony De Masi
12-14-2009, 5:13 PM
Shame on you Ken. You are very devious indeed.

That looks like a really great blank there John. So let's see what you can do with it.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2009, 5:33 PM
John,

You are certainly welcome!

Toney,

I may be devious but I am not an instigator!:confused::D

Well...on 2nd thought..........

gary Zimmel
12-14-2009, 5:44 PM
Watch it John.

That chunk of wood looks a little lonely.
You may have to get some freinds to keep it company.

And it may be a bit big for your lathe....:D
Now what!

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 5:55 PM
OH, OH, looky who will be turning a bowl soon.....:D;):rolleyes::cool:

David Christopher
12-14-2009, 6:28 PM
John, youve been bombed !!!!!!!!!cant wait to see what you make

Brian Brown
12-14-2009, 6:46 PM
Just like a drug dealer - tryin' to hook one more!!!:D:D:D

That Fitzgerald guy; always looking to hook one more. ;) If it wasn't for him dragging the wife and me into pen turning, we wouldn't be spending all our income on pen parts. Who needs housing and food anyway?:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 7:03 PM
John - in Idaho that is considered a bowl blank - always thought that in Kentucky - that was considered a door stop! Looking forward to seeing photos - either way!

Congrats! Have fun!

Joe Mioux
12-14-2009, 7:58 PM
Oh oh..........

I have been enjoying reading these various threads of Mr Keeton's trek into the vortex. Mr Fitzgerald really is an instigator, isn't he?.

Steve Mawson
12-14-2009, 8:04 PM
Me thinks that Ken could be considered SANTA giving out presents. Who cares if it was the Post Office that delivered the present. I hope more pictures are in order.

Bill Bolen
12-14-2009, 8:07 PM
WTG Ken! And I see you even sent instructions "this is a bowl blank". You sir are the man. John, afraid it's all over now. 1 blank and a Mustard Monster will be in your shop...Bill...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2009, 8:09 PM
Me thinks that Ken could be considered SANTA giving out presents. Who cares if it was the Post Office that delivered the present. I hope more pictures are in order.

With John's beard and my hair and build, I could be a stunt double for Santa..........:o

Doug W Swanson
12-14-2009, 8:32 PM
OK, let's see you make something using the whole piece in one shot and not cut it up into 100 pen blanks!

Doug

Baxter Smith
12-14-2009, 8:38 PM
"Throwing down the gauntlet" came to my mind!:)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-14-2009, 8:42 PM
I thought that looked like a nice size shopping block :p:p:p:p---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------- making fast tracks wile ducking -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Ken,yes you ARE BAD, pushing John into the vortex, --- AAaahhAAaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa-------------------

John Keeton
12-14-2009, 8:53 PM
You guys are all in cahoots in this!! I can smell a conspiracy a mile away!

I have this chunk of wood sitting on the dining room table, and every time I walk by it speaks to me - mostly profanity!:D

But, I promise to do Ken right by this gift. My Nova chuck and the Cole jaws are on their way, and the Thompson bowl gouge and detail gouge shouldn't be far behind. I hope to have the handles ready for the tools by the time they get here.

Then, it will be practice time on some woodpile pieces before I mangle this fine piece of what appears to be walnut.

At the moment, I am thinking a lidded vessel of some sort with a finial - now, I just have to learn how to make that happen!:confused: Whatever the result, good or bad, it will be shared with the "gang."

Thanks, again, for all the fun, and the good natured support! From the guy who said he just didn't think bowls woud interest him!!:o;)

gary Zimmel
12-14-2009, 9:03 PM
Upside of the whole thing is you may be able to downsize your shop size when you really get into this John..:D
Maybe you can sell your domino for a nice hollowing rig....

Kenneth Whiting
12-14-2009, 9:24 PM
Good job Ken. Have fun with that blank John. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Mike Svoma
12-15-2009, 8:51 AM
There is nothing like a good sneak attack.:):):)

Bill O'Conner
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
you see ken got pushed in to this years ago and he's willing to take every flat worker with him now

First there was Towey

and now John

Bill

Mark P. Brown
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Have the best of both worlds. Cut in 3/4 inch all the way round for pen blanks then make the bowl.
Just a thought,
Mark

Jim Kountz
12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
From the guy who said he just didn't think bowls woud interest him!!:o;)

See thats just it John, it no longer matters what you think you may be interested in. The vortex has you now and its a demanding mistress. It will take you places you never dreamed of going before, and you'll love it!!

Enjoy!!

Jeff Nicol
12-16-2009, 6:37 AM
John, We all know Ken's bombing story and the saga continues with you! Maybe there will be some more stuff in the box with your steady rest when I ship it out! It is cold outside and I am being a wimp and staying in the house for a little longer this morning!

Have fun with that beauty of a bowl blank!

Jeff