PDA

View Full Version : First Pepper Mill for LOML's birthday

steven carter
12-14-2009, 2:43 PM
This ia pepper mill I made using the shafted crush grind mechanism. The wood is walnut finished with my home brew oil on the outside only, and EEE buffing and ren wax. I went with the 1 1/16 inch forstner bit for the though hole, and there is just a little clearance where the top fits on the body, but too tight a fit would not let the top rotate freely. I thought about making the through hole 1" and then turning down the fitting in the top, but thought I would try the 1 1/16 hole first, as it gives a little more room for peppercorn insertion. All in all I think I will stick with the 1 1/16 hole.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 6:04 PM
Really a nice looking mill. She is going to love it.

Josiah Bartlett
12-14-2009, 6:37 PM
This ia pepper mill I made using the shafted crush grind mechanism. The wood is walnut finished with my home brew oil on the outside only, and EEE buffing and ren wax. I went with the 1 1/16 inch forstner bit for the though hole, and there is just a little clearance where the top fits on the body, but too tight a fit would not let the top rotate freely. I thought about making the through hole 1" and then turning down the fitting in the top, but thought I would try the 1 1/16 hole first, as it gives a little more room for peppercorn insertion. All in all I think I will stick with the 1 1/16 hole.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Nice job. I turn a tenon on my top to fit the bored hole and screw the plate to that. This allows me to bore as large as I want to for the peppercorn reservoir, as long as I stop it down on the other end where the grind mechanism fits. After using the first mill I made for a while I want as much reservoir as I can get in there. We use a lot of pepper in our family and it tastes so good from a self-made grinder.

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice peppermill Steve! I really like the simple curves of the form!