PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Help

james bell
12-14-2009, 2:13 PM
I have an old Delta 16" variable speed scroll saw which has served it's purpose well - doll house furniture so cutting mostly 1/16" and 1/8" thick cherry/walnut, and occasionally 1/4" for legs. I am now trying to do some scroll saw puzzles, and it doesn't like to cut 4/4 or thicker hardwoods - even with new blades.

I have read plenty of blogs on scroll saws and the consensus seems to be the Dewalt 788 with some liking the Ellipse 21 (which I can't seem to find a price on, but 'assume' it is fairly pricey).

My question is will the Dewalt cut 6/4 hardwood easily? The Delta does cut, but there is too much play between the puzzle pieces which I assume is the blade struggling and vibrating back and forth, although I have the tension fairly tight. Any comments are sincerely appreciated.

thanks ... jim

Stephen Edwards
12-14-2009, 4:04 PM
I, too, have an old Delta VS scroll saw. I heard about and then ordered some blades from this guy:

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

If you haven't tried those blades yet, I'd suggest trying them before buying a new scroll saw, unless you just want a new saw.

The blades that Mike sells certainly made my saw perform as it never had before. I can cut through 3/4 and 4/4 hard maple, purple heart, anything I've tried thus far, like butter.

They're not really expensive either. Far different and far superior to any other scroll saw blades I've used. He'll send you a couple of blades for free so you can check them out.

Steve Mellott
12-14-2009, 4:30 PM
I don't think there is any scroll saw (including the Dewalt) that will cut 6/4 hardwood "easily". If you are cutting a straight line - then fine. Once you start on a curve or an intricate pattern, there is a tendency of the user to slightly push the blade sideways and you get a curved cut (top to bottom). Most members in our scroll saw club rarely cut wood more than 3/4" thick.

Steve

Dave Lehnert
12-14-2009, 4:49 PM
Like Stephen said above. Give Mike a call and get some blades. They are the best I have used.

For a scroll saw anything above 3/4" is pushing it. I have cut several 1" hardwoods with my DeWalt with no problem. Not sure If I would want to do that all the time.

glenn bradley
12-14-2009, 5:42 PM
My 788 with FD blades will cut 6/4 maple quite accurately but, I wouldn't call it fast. If you have no fretwork in your puzzles, I'd go to the bandsaw for speed.

james bell
12-16-2009, 3:46 PM
I am in the process of increasing the HP of my 12" bandsaw from 1/2 to 1.5 - have a larger bandsaw but it doesn't take small blades. This will allow me to cut the outline with the BS. The problem with the bandsaw for cutting the pieces out is too much wood is taken, so the pieces are too loose.

I checked out Mike's web site, and fired off an email to him. If the samples work, great. If not and my budget (and /wife allow) I will spring for the DeWalt.

Thanks for the great info ... jim