PDA

View Full Version : Small Dark Maple Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Sugar Maple with some real nice dark coloring, 7 1/4" diameter x 4" high x 5/16" rim tapering to 3/16" walls. Sanded to 400 and has several coats of gloss wipe-on poly. Will wait a week or so before buffing out.

135172 135173 135174 135175 135176

As always - comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Baxter Smith
12-14-2009, 1:17 PM
Very pretty bowl Steve! Shape and color really make it. If you are able, please post a picture of it after you have buffed it out. I would be very interested in seeing the difference. Hate to think I might need yet another tool!:)

Thanks,
Baxter

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 1:25 PM
Baxter - thanks for the kind words!

You won't see a big difference in photos when it comes to before and after shots when it comes to buffing. The big difference is the way the turning feels when you pick it up. After buffing, the turning is silky smooth no matter what finish you used as the buffing process evens out the finish and removes all those little bumps.

Wouldn't want to suggest that you need another tool - but once you feel the difference buffing makes... lets just say you would probably start to consider it!

steven carter
12-14-2009, 1:36 PM
Steve,

Very nice looking bowl. The finish is great even before buffing. This one shure has a lot of color and grain form maple, is this one red maple?

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 6:32 PM
That is a beauty Steve. I really like the coloring of the wood. Form looks good as does the rim.

Steve Mawson
12-14-2009, 8:32 PM
Very nice, you are fortunate to have so much maple at your disposal.

Baxter, Steve is right on the feel. It is so different when you pick up one that has been buffed. If you want to use elbow grease you can use wax and oooo steel wool. That used to work for me and does a decent job.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-14-2009, 8:32 PM
I like that shape Steve, it leads the eye up to a good rim, beautiful finish on it and quite a grain in there, yes a real nice one Steve :D

Baxter Smith
12-14-2009, 8:55 PM
Thanks Steve - now I have to worry about what they feel like too?:)

Steve M - I have done the 0000 steel wool bit but it was mostly just to knock down the gloss on something. Never tried adding the wax.

I do have a 6 inch grinder with a small buffing wheel on it. Have never tried all the different substances I have been reading about here though. I know I have picked up a few turnings and "felt amazed". I never thought about the buffing as being the difference.

When I retired, I wanted to take my woodworking to the next level. Guess I'm in the right place!

George Morris
12-14-2009, 9:13 PM
Very well done great form. As far as feeling the finish I will give you my address send it over and I will check it out for a few years! Steve it is a classic! G

Gary Conklin
12-14-2009, 9:15 PM
What a neat little bowl, great looking wood and love that rounded rim.

Kenneth Whiting
12-14-2009, 9:37 PM
That's a nice bowl Steve.

Billy Tallant
12-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Great looking bowl. That wood grain really stands out.

Richard Madison
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Some very interesting patterns in that piece of wood. Like the rim treatment. +1 what you said about buffing.

Curt Fuller
12-15-2009, 12:11 AM
What a beautiful bowl! Everything about it is gorgeous.

I'm curious, how long would you estimate you spend on the "finishing" of a bowl like this. I'm talking about once you put the chisels away and start sanding and applying the finish. Your patience really pays off and really makes your work stand out.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Steve - if I remember correctly this is sugar maple.

Curt - thanks! I probably spend 30 minutes sanding using a hand drill and low lathe speed. Applying the finish really doesn't take that long. I saturate the piece with poly and wipe off the excess. Set the form down to dry for a day and repeat. Depending on the wood I may saturate the form again or just start applying the finish. I use a folded up paper towel and using very thin coats wipe it on and set it aside to dry. Sort of a french polish method of quickly wiping it on and not going back over a place that you may have missed - just get that area on the next coat.

With the poly being applied in very thin coats it doesn't take long for it to dry and is not uncommon to be able to apply 4 or 5 coats in a day. Couple of days of that and the form takes on a real nice gloss. Total time actually applying the poly is less than an hour - and that is spread out over a few days. Obviously - I am not in to much of a rush to get the job done and usually have several turnings in various stages of final finishing.