PDA

View Full Version : RC airplane plans

douglas rubio
12-14-2009, 9:21 AM
If anyone knows where I may find RC plans to laser cut please let me know.

Jim Sage
12-14-2009, 9:59 AM
Are you looking for a foam plane plans or a built-up airplane plans?

There are many free foamie plans on the web . . .

ie . . . skyhighhobby dot comm

douglas rubio
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm looking for scale balsa plans, dfx files or .cdr files to cut.

David Fairfield
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Old hobby mags are full of plans, reduced in size to fit neatly on a scanner. Just trace them in Corel or Adobe and rescale to 1/1 size. Many of the parts are repetitive, so its a snap. You can get these mags by the boxfull at flea markets or on eBay.

Dave

Jim Sage
12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Here is a free balsa plan . . . look in the downloads section

manzanolaser dot com

Dan Hintz
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I regret getting rid of my Fine Scale Modeler mags many many years ago... I couldn't afford the shelf space any longer (or the transportation costs with all of my moves!), so they ended up in the recycle bin. No one I knew was interested...

Sergio Arze
12-14-2009, 8:50 PM
try www aerofred com

Allan Wright
12-15-2009, 2:09 PM
You don't specify a scale. Here's a good starting page with a lot of links: http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/aircraftplans/tp/Advanced_RC_Airplane_Plans.htm

Good Luck! If you have specific questions feel free to ask me here via PM or e-mail. My primary use is for cutting RC aircraft I've designed.

Allan Wright - Wright Brothers R/C

douglas rubio
12-15-2009, 2:59 PM
thank you fellas!!
One question, would you guys recommend reinforcing the frames with fiberglass or would that be over doing it?

Allan Wright
12-15-2009, 3:04 PM
thank you fellas!!
One question, would you guys recommend reinforcing the frames with fiberglass or would that be over doing it?

That all depends on what size plane you're building, what materials you're using, what power system you're using, etc. That's sort of like asking 'what settings should I use with my laser?" without specifying what you're cutting, what you're trying to accomplish, and if you're raster or vector cutting.

If you're interested in a forum where you can get a TON of great information on RC airplanes, try RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/ they have forums for every type of RC aircraft including scale fuel-powered RC, Scale Electric RC, and scale micro RC. Once you settle on exactly what you want to do, you'll find a lot of GREAT information over on RC groups. I come here for laser-related questions, but I go there for airplane design questions.

Good luck!
Allan