PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panels

Jim Baker
03-27-2003, 8:46 PM
Two raised panel questions for you more experienced Creek Waders:

1) What method do you guys use for sanding the end grain on raised panels? I have tried both regular sandpaper and sanding sponges. Both do OK, but I think I should be able to do better. The only way I have been able to get them really smooth is to sand across the grain, which of course leaves unsightly scratches. Any ideas?

2) Some people advocate staining the panels before assembling the door. I have tried it both ways. I currently do not pre-stain for two reasons. I am concerned about the possibility of damaging the finish while sanding the joints on the rails and stiles. Also, when I tried pre-staining, I had trouble with getting too much stain on the panels when I came back and stained the rest of the door.

Any advice is appreciated.

Phil Phelps
03-27-2003, 9:15 PM
Jim, I still use my hand to sand the panels. Depends on the wood as to what grit I'll use. An old painters trick for end grain staining is to coat the end grain with 50/50 mix of shellac and alcohol before you stain. You really just want to swipe the panel with stain so that if it gives in the frame, no bare wood will show.

jack duren
03-27-2003, 9:24 PM
just use an ROS to sand the profiles of the panel....jack

Bobby Hatfield
03-27-2003, 9:51 PM
Jim I only use one panel raiser cutter (the convex) the reason is that I can sand it with the 1 1/2" outer portion of the pad of my ROS formed by down pressure to the curve of the raise, makes fast work of sanding. I gave away my other panel raisers and outsource doors if the customer wants different panel treatment. I found that sanding the endgrain was too expensive to do without a shaper/sander machine, but not as costly as the machine. Crossgrain sanding with a form block across the grit to 320 is fastest, if it is other than convex. Staining with dye before assembly works but adds a drying step for the panels. Staining with dye after assembly and using lots of mixed dye and air hose to blow out the extra in the groove takes about same amount of time but most times stains enough of the panel tongue to keep any bare wood from showing.

Ted Shrader
03-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jim Baker
Two raised panel questions for you more experienced Creek Waders:
1) What method do you guys use for sanding the end grain on raised panels? I have tried both regular sandpaper and sanding sponges. Both do OK, but I think I should be able to do better. The only way I have been able to get them really smooth is to sand across the grain, which of course leaves unsightly scratches. Any ideas?
I try to use a ROS as much as possible. But you have to watch the edge of the field so you don't round it over. I use profile blocks near that and go up through the various grits. Gives you a real lesson on the proper use of the grits.

2) Some people advocate staining the panels before assembling the door. I have tried it both ways. I currently do not pre-stain for two reasons. I am concerned about the possibility of damaging the finish while sanding the joints on the rails and stiles. Also, when I tried pre-staining, I had trouble with getting too much stain on the panels when I came back and stained the rest of the door.
Stain only the edges of the panel prior to assembly. If it moves around, it will not show any bare wood. Then stain the whole door at the end. Use an air compressor to get any extra stain out of the nooks and crannies at the edge of the panel.

Good luck,
Ted

Steve Clardy
03-28-2003, 10:43 AM
I still hand sand the edge grain profile. Doesn't really take that long. It is kinda hard on the thumbnail though, wears it off on one side. On the staining, I used to stain the edges before door assembly when I applied stain with a rag. But now I spray all my stain on, and just spray a little extra in and around the grooves and panel profile. That way it seeps in the grooves and doesn't let bare wood show when the panel shrinks. My 2 cents, Steve