PDA

View Full Version : Most humble beginnings....

Jamie Straw
12-14-2009, 2:20 AM
Well, I got brave and made two bottle stoppers for a Christmas gift exchange, the party was tonight. Lots of improvement lays ahead I hope, but the stoppers (and the accompanying bottle of wine) were received well. They were "stolen" twice (the kind of gift exchange where you can pick a wrapped gift or steal from someone before you :D

Here they are, I hope to look back on them a year from now with amusement. Jobillo, Purpleheart, both with Ruth Niles stainless steel fittings. :p

John Keeton
12-14-2009, 7:24 AM
Jamie, actually I think they look great!! Nice choice of woods, too. The mere fact that they were "passed around" at the party is a good sign!:D

Bob Haverstock
12-14-2009, 7:25 AM
Jamie,

Those are very nice. Be careful, that lathe may not let go of you. I've found that my little lathe likes a fresh bed of wood chips daily.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2009, 8:29 AM
Nice work on the bottle stoppers Jamie! Always makes you feel good when others appreciate your work! Sounds like it was a fun party! Thanks for sharing!

Rob Cunningham
12-14-2009, 8:47 AM
Jamie, the stoppers are very nice. Good design and choice of wood. Being "stolen" twice shows that they are appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2009, 9:21 AM
Jamie,

Excellent stoppers!

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Those are great stoppers Jamie. Really like the woods. Well done.

gary Zimmel
12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Watch it Jamie, those stoppers can become very addicting.
Nice quick little projects that make everyone happy.

It won't be long and you will be making them for the whole office...

Richard Madison
12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Nice work Jamie. I especially like the way the purpleheart "topper" tapers down to meet the "stopper".

Jamie Straw
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm officially hooked, sucked into the Vortex never to return.:D There will be more stoppers before Christmas, and a wand for my grandson. After that, a new base for the lathe and get some of this maple and alder that's laying around waxed and stowed!