PDA

View Full Version : Alton Brown's Kitchen Cabinets?

Pat Germain
12-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm a big fan of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" program on Food Network. I'm also a big fan of the kitchen cabinets displayed in this show. I like the simple, clean lines and natural finish. Does anyone know anything about them? I would someday like build cabinets like this.

As I understand it, the current set for Good Eats is an almost exact replica of an actual kitchen, owned by a producer, where the show was previously taped. Due to complaining neighbors, the production company purchased a studio and recreated that same kitchen on a soundstage.

I did some digging around and learned these "semi custom" cabinets were provided by Canac, a division of Kohler. Well, it was a division of Kohler until Kohler shut it down. Thus, I can't get any details for the cabinets.

The cabinets appear to be maple ply with maple face frames. The doors are apparenty just ply inside hardwood frames. The finish might be an amber tinted varnish.

I would appreciate any insight or observations about Alton Brown's kitchen cabs. Thanks.

Eric Larsen
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Much of the allure of Alton's cabinets are the aftermarket modifications -- like Rev-A-Shelf wire baskets, magnetic strips, and cabinet lights that are switched on and off by opening doors.

Alton did a "behind the scenes" show that reveals the other side of the sound stage, where a lot of the cameras reside.

As far as the construction of the cabinets -- they look a lot like my cabinets. (Which came with the house.)

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/45/08/slideshow_1084567_GoodEats.jpg

Those are definitely factory-made "maple" cabinets. That one door to the left of Alton looks unusable. The island has casters. (And that's a cheap-ass laminate floor with quarter rounds at the foot of the baseboard.) In addition, that doorway looks very short -- perhaps to make Alton look taller?

Jim O'Dell
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Find a link on the website, and write the show. I bet the set director/designer can get you some particulars.

Several years back, there was a sitcom on TV that Burt Reynolds starred in. I never watched it, but a guy up in MN that purchased one of our pups born in 1995 did. In the show was a sofa that the material had Irish Setters on it. Terry was able to track down the manufacturer with the shows help, and purchase some of the material to make pillows out of for a fund raiser for his local Irish Setter club! So I bet they will help you with any information they can. The fact that you know the company is defunct is going limit how much extra info you can get, but maybe they would be willing to take some pictures and email you. It's worth a shot!! Jim.

Pat Germain
12-14-2009, 2:10 PM
As far as the construction of the cabinets -- they look a lot like my cabinets. (Which came with the house.)

Thanks, Eric. Are your cabinets maple ply with maple face frames? Do you know what type of finish is on them?

Dan Mages
12-14-2009, 8:48 PM
Much of the allure of Alton's cabinets are the aftermarket modifications -- like Rev-A-Shelf wire baskets, magnetic strips, and cabinet lights that are switched on and off by opening doors.

Alton did a "behind the scenes" show that reveals the other side of the sound stage, where a lot of the cameras reside.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/45/08/slideshow_1084567_GoodEats.jpg

Those are definitely factory-made "maple" cabinets. That one door to the left of Alton looks unusable. The island has casters. (And that's a cheap-ass laminate floor with quarter rounds at the foot of the baseboard.) In addition, that doorway looks very short -- perhaps to make Alton look taller?

And you will notice that the island behind him is on casters.

Eric Larsen
12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
And you will notice that the island behind him is on casters.

Why, I did notice that the island is on casters. :D

It's dark for photographing my cabinets. But they're from a company called Western Cabinets (or some such -- I haven't thought about this in 2.5 years). The color is called "honey maple" but such colors are named by marketers.

I'll go though my file cabinet and get better info and a few pix tomorrow.

Pat Germain
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Eric. No hurry. Whenever you get around to it. :)