PDA

View Full Version : Help! Vaccination needed

David Reed
12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Someone please help me. Is there a vaccination available? I may have become infected when I harvested a large maple, most of the trunk being burl/birdseye or perhaps it was in the packing material with the new Jet lathe. I have been a casual user (turner) for decades, but since my new 1642 Jet and the SN2 arrived, I am definitely become an abuser. Can't stop the spinning. Turned many odd things in the past, but only one bowl and one hollow form until recently. My number two hollow form got away without pics, but numbers three through six are pictured here. Seven and eight are also long gone as gifts - no pics. Fortunately I am taking a vacation where I can sort out my thoughts and perhaps beat this before it becomes a more severe addiction.
The first is 14 inches diameter, 1/8" wall thickness but became a little nervous with the others due to the large voids and one is 5/16" and the others are 3/16" wall thickness. My photography needs a little help as does my finishing and a little detail work. Just too addicting.
David Reed

David Christopher
12-13-2009, 11:36 PM
MAN you've got it bad. I think you've stepped too far into the vortex...... but those are beautiful turnings

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2009, 11:50 PM
David...You on one hand, have it bad and on the other hand appear to be doing well. In the event you need some place to send one of those, PM me for my address. Very, very nice!

David E Keller
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Beautiful wood and very nice forms. I really like the natural edge hollow forms. I'm afraid you're terminal... There is no cure.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Beautiful work David! No known cure for the Vortex that I am aware of - so might as well enjoy the ride!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Tim Self
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
No, there is no cure. I feel sorry for you. NOT. I can't believe someone would post turnings with holes in them! Those are some real beauts. Congrats on reigniting your addiction.

Billy Tallant
12-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Very beautiful work. No cure known. Only one solution to problem. That is too stay busy doing what you have been doing. Just keep turning out the wonderful work!

Jamie Straw
12-14-2009, 2:08 AM
Fortunately I am taking a vacation where I can sort out my thoughts and perhaps beat this before it becomes a more severe addiction.

Oh, David, I think you should just give in and enjoy it! What beautiful turnings! A great find, that maple tree. Makes living with the Great Northwest rain well worth it, eh?

Sid Matheny
12-14-2009, 2:18 AM
There is no cure but don't worrt, it wares off in 100 years or so. :D

Sid

alex carey
12-14-2009, 2:35 AM
wow, you certainly are working hard, those are all fantastic pieces.

Tom Giacomo
12-14-2009, 2:52 AM
Cast all hope aside, you have been sucked into the vortex.

Rob Cunningham
12-14-2009, 8:56 AM
Beautiful work David.
The only cure would be to send all remaining wood to other turners here :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Beautiful David. Really like all of them especially the last one. Nope there is no vaccine and no hope of a cure. Sorry.:eek::D

Steve Mawson
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Very nice turnings. Have to agree with everyone else there is no known cure, however it is enjoyable so have a good ride.

John Keeton
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Fantastic wood, and a great job! What wood did you use for the finials and base, rim, etc.?

Bill Bolen
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Beautiful pieces all! My but you have chosen some difficult wood to hollow. All those voids and such nice even wall thickness. Your skill is showing...Bill..

Dennis Ford
12-14-2009, 1:38 PM
You have been vaccinated and you are now immune to: spare time, spare money and other forms of woodwork. Excellent work!

David Reed
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you all for all the nice comments. I feel I have gained so much from this huge knowledge bank and cannot thank you enough for this.
Re the finial and pedestal, they are both white oak (not the best for the job, but lots of it kicking around the shop), sanded and sealed then dyed with India ink. This form and one other have several coats rattle can lacquer, but my favorite finish is hand rubbed oil. I use Dura Seal for nearly everything I build. Easy to apply and durable.
The holes in this free wood are a real nuisance but can't afford any quality wood at this time ('The Coat of Many Colors' comes to mind).
I chewed out a couple more turnings, one with a purple heart ring at the opening and the other a NE. I need to build a steady rest so I can hollow something taller next.
I do have a question of you more experienced turners. I try to cut or shear scrape the forms and only sand the forms with 220 and up. I am largely able to do this on the outside, but scraping only in the inside of these forms leaves a pretty crude surface. Any better way to arrive at a smoother finish on the inside when a bowl gouge will not fit? I tend to leave these unfinished inside.
Anyway, I am leaving town for a while; going into detox and perhaps when I return, I can pace myself a little better. Can't seem to get anything else done.
David

charlie knighton
12-15-2009, 9:57 AM
very nice...

Tom Baugues
12-15-2009, 6:58 PM
Really very nice stuff you have there. Well done. It usually takes a much longer time to be able to turn out projects like those. Congratulations. You should be very proud.

Tom

gary butcher
12-15-2009, 7:12 PM
wooden flying saucers, my favorite kind!