PDA

View Full Version : Delta Bandsaw Help Needed

Matt Chambers
12-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi all, I am in the process of setting up my first woodshop and came across this bandsaw. I dont know alot about it, and was hoping you might be able to help me figure out if it is a good deal of not. I am not sure on the size of the BS. Also, do they normally have a fence, this one doesnt appear to.

Thanks for all your thoughts and help!

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/1491798309.html

Howard Klepper
12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Grab it at that price. The standard for small shops for many, many years. Looks like 1950's vintage, which is a good period. They sell used for 3-4 times that amount. Get it now. Then post your "bandsaw gloat."

Pete Bradley
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
I love how there's always a "grab it!" response. Assuming it's in good shape, it's a good price and it's already sold. However, as with any vintage machine (this one is somewhere between early 40s and 1954), condition is everything. The usual questions:
1. what's missing or broken? A broken wheel means parts machine. Trunnions on this model are easily and often broken. Guides present and usable? These parts show up on eBay, but not necessarily cheap.
2. Unless they've been done already, the bearings are shot. Do you have the knowledge to replace the bearings, or have they recently been done?
3. Does the motor take power you have (usually not a problem with this model)?
[edit] 4. Check that each wheel is not loose on the shaft (it's ok for the top wheel carrier to be loose). It's not uncommon to find these with a bearing that has spun and eroded the shaft, something that's tricky to repair satisfactorily. New shafts can be had, but they significantly impact the cost and/or time to restore.

Add up what it will cost to put the saw right, subtract from the price you want to finish at, subtract a little more for what you missed checking it out, and you'll have a good idea of what it's worth.

Pete

Chip Lindley
12-14-2009, 12:42 AM
And I thought I was the pissimist here! These old bandsaws can always have parts which need replacing, or bearings shot. But they certainly are a good place to start! Especially at $100! I seldom see one for sale this Cheap!

Any machine this old may (or may not) need replacement parts. Ebay parts for old 14" Deltas don't generally seem to bring much. New Carter guides to fit the hex upper guide would always be a good investment. New tires may be needed. (or not!) A motor larger than the (probably 1/2hp) would help with any resawing.

I have a wood/metal version of this same saw! (with the gear box) It's built like a tank and runs smoother than my newer post-Rockwell '95 wood-cutting version.

If you need a solid 14"er, Definately consider this one.

Jerome Hanby
12-14-2009, 9:48 AM
I'd say if nothing is cracked bent, go for it. I don't think parts will be a problem and you can spend a bunch of bucks out of the Iturra catalog tricking it out and still not have as much in it as a new model...plus who wants a new model Delta 14"? :p

Lee Schierer
12-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I think I would arrange to at least go see it. $100 is a good deal, but as others have mentioned some work may be needed. Tires, guide blocks and blades will most likely need to be replace, but those costs are minor. Bearings may need to be replaced, but those costs aren't great either. If the motor is 1/2 Hp or less you'll want to replace it if you plan on resawing much and that will run $2-300. A Kreg fence will set you back about $120. Surface rust on the table is easy to clean with some scotch brite, WD40 and elbow grease. Broken parts may be harder and more costly to replace. I'd offer $75 to start and see what he says.

mark kosse
12-14-2009, 1:44 PM
I love how there's always a pessimistic reponse. A saw like that, get it in your possession and worry later. There is a VERY HIGH chance there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. I got one that was stored in a damp barn, completely covered in rust and all I did was oil the bearings, buy new tires and a new blade. I've been using the heck out of it.

Pete Bradley
12-14-2009, 2:07 PM
I love how there's always a pessimistic reponse.
Not pessimistic, realistic based on personal experience restoring half a dozen machines from the 40s and 50s.

People tend to focus on the asking price and the value of a comparable new saw in ready to use condition. What really matters most is whether the machine is restorable (depends on the restorer and the machine) and what the total price of the machine will be.

The Delta 14" is a relatively easy one since all manner of parts are available, but $100 could be a bargain, could be too much. That saw's got new paint, I suspect the owner knows what he's selling.

Don Jarvie
12-14-2009, 3:11 PM
If there is nothing broken then it's a steal at 100 bucks. One lasted 2 hrs on CL around here for the same price.

If you want to fix it up yourself there's tons of info at OWWM.org. It's really not to hard to restore these machines. Bearings are relatively cheap and there are plently of parts since this is a popular model at OWWM.

glenn bradley
12-14-2009, 3:19 PM
Matt, if the saw is still available, I would get it. Parts are generally easy to come by and that is a very popular saw and size. My dad has a late 1940's version and it has been running since bought new without issue. He did recently trick it out with some Carter guides and a larger add-on table but that only made it nicer still.

Matt Chambers
12-14-2009, 3:27 PM
Kinda a long story, but I was at the sellers yesterday looking at a unisaw and didnt buy the bandsaw then (did get the unisaw though). He showed me that the bandsaw works, and has a couple of blades for it.

I have called the seller back and have made arrangements to get it tomorrow afternoon. Got both this and the unisaw for a total of $350. I am a complete newbie when it comes to restoring woodworking equipment, but am excited not only by the tools themselves but also at the process of restoring them.

Thanks for all your insight everyone. I am sure I will be on OWWM ALOT getting the information I need to get the saw restored.

Thanks again!

Don Jarvie
12-14-2009, 3:37 PM
A big YOU STINK! :)

The Unisaw is worth the 350 alone so the Bandsaw was basically free.

george wilson
12-14-2009, 4:36 PM
that is just like my old Delta bandsaw I bought used in 1963. mine has the height attachment to cut 12" deep. Still has the old tires.

Howard Klepper
12-14-2009, 5:18 PM
I love how there's always a "grab it!" response. Assuming it's in good shape, it's a good price and it's already sold. However, as with any vintage machine (this one is somewhere between early 40s and 1954), condition is everything. The usual questions:
1. what's missing or broken? A broken wheel means parts machine. Trunnions on this model are easily and often broken. Guides present and usable? These parts show up on eBay, but not necessarily cheap.
2. Unless they've been done already, the bearings are shot. Do you have the knowledge to replace the bearings, or have they recently been done?
3. Does the motor take power you have (usually not a problem with this model)?

Add up what it will cost to put the saw right, subtract from the price you want to finish at, subtract a little more for what you missed checking it out, and you'll have a good idea of what it's worth.

Pete

I love how there's always a "laundry list of everything that can be wrong with that kind of machine" response. Hey, if it were a good deal it would already be gone, so don't bother.

I guess it's a lucky fluke that I have bought so many good used machines. And that my friends have, too! Who knew that if the price is good they are either bad or already sold?

Pete Bradley
12-14-2009, 7:15 PM
I guess it's a lucky fluke that I have bought so many good used machines. And that my friends have, too! Who knew that if the price is good they are either bad or already sold?
Nope. Read my post again. I've also done more detailed posts in this forum on evaluating old machines.

I've bought some great used machines, and a few not so good ones. The youngest machine in my shop is 30 years old, most are 50+, and all run like new. The key to success is accurately evaluating what restoration will take and making an offer (or not) based on that evaluation.