PDA

View Full Version : No need for Safety

Roy Hill
12-13-2009, 8:58 PM
Hey all, just couldn't keep this one to myself. I don't usually get caught up in a lot of the safety issues that come up from time to time. However, I was perusing Craigslist today and thought you guys might get a kick out of this post. Apparenty this guy has no safety habits at all. It's scary what some people will do. :eek:
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/1507903891.html

Roy Hill

Dan Friedrichs
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
:) I like how he says the shields got in the way of a "good cut".

Jim Rimmer
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
YIKES! :eek:

David Christopher
12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
thats ashame, that saw comes with one of the best stock shield Ive ever seen or used

Dennis McGarry
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Wish I was closer, I have the complete recall upgrade kit for it! *even the nice new safty sheild!

Jeff Dorlan
12-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it's just like my fingers...they just get in the way of me using my hand as a club! What a moron! Thanks for the post.

Jeff Mohr
12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I cannot believe it....

Wil Richardson
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
My Dads saw look just like that but he has a dado blade on it right now.

scott vroom
12-14-2009, 2:09 AM
What's all the fuss? My grandad had a shop full of power tools that had no safety guards (including his hand-made table saw) and he died at a ripe old age with all his fingers attached. His generation (born 1876 on the farm), recognized the danger and learned to use the equipment safely. It's just a different mindset. I believe that too many safety gizmos on todays machines can lull todays woodworkers into a false sense of security which results in accidents. Think about it for a minute before rolling your eyes in disbelief.

Peter Quinn
12-14-2009, 5:51 AM
I have to agree with Scott. If you think a few plastic shields on a RAS are going to keep you safe, time to sell the saw. When I restored my DeWalt the guy at Wolfe had some very practical advise. Is the saw in a shop regulated by OSHA? Are you paying other people of various origins to work for you with this tool? If not, then skip the shields (they are not cheap retrofits on an old dewalt) because they will not stop you from the major cause of accident, pulling the blade over the fingers, only YOU can do that by paying attention to what you are doing at all times. Not some of the time, not most times, not just during those times when you feel focused and up to the task, but at ALL times. I guess the shields will stop you from putting your hand into the spinning blade from the side while reaching across the path of the blade, but common sense could also serve that function.

So the C'man has the best shield design ever?If only the saws were that good. The thing I found odd in the CL add was not the missing guards, but the claim that his 10" C'man RAS will cut 8"X8" lumber. So if dimensioned 8"=7 1/4", will a 10" RAS give you 3 5/8" depth to cut an 8X8 in two passes in any event? And given I have both used several C'man saws and cut material that thick on a serious RAS, should one be expected to believe that a 10" C'man can cut 8X8 material on any regular basis? You may need to take the shield off for that one anyway.

Mike Cruz
12-14-2009, 8:39 AM
Oh, my.....

Al Willits
12-14-2009, 9:34 AM
What's all the fuss? My grandad had a shop full of power tools that had no safety guards (including his hand-made table saw) and he died at a ripe old age with all his fingers attached. His generation (born 1876 on the farm), recognized the danger and learned to use the equipment safely. It's just a different mindset. I believe that too many safety gizmos on todays machines can lull todays woodworkers into a false sense of security which results in accidents. Think about it for a minute before rolling your eyes in disbelief.

I'd agree, to many might lull some into carelessness, on the other hand none may teach about the ills of losing your grip, slipping, falling, that careless moment, brain fart, etc that sometimes happens.

We had enough posts on injuries that imho I'll leave mine on, anybody else can remove at their own risk.

Al

Richard Dragin
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM

You'd better take the guards off that CMS and jointer before you get lulled into that false sense of security. BTW, do you let you son use the machines without the guards?

A picture of Scott's shop.......
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133199&d=1258697314

Erik Christensen
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I learned woodworking in his shop - his tools were from the 30-50's and what few guards they may have come with were all removed long before I was born. He died with fingers intact.... but he also routinely drove a car after martini hour and also never had a problem with the cops or a wreck.

Looking back I view him as a very lucky idiot who I choose not to imitate.

Richard Dragin
12-14-2009, 12:07 PM
When I got my used Dewalt RAS (off CL of course) I had to wait for the guy to get home from physical therapy. He was selling the saw because he had just cut off a couple of fingers making picture frames with his dad's saw. He had a big rusty (and bloody) rip blade that was too big for the guard so he removed it. His hand touched the top of the blade and got sucked in (his explanation).

So I learned, just like Scott V. suggests to be more careful, BY PUTTING THE GUARDS BACK ON! Now I am rolling my eyes at that foolish statement.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, that is interesting. I wonder how he makes a cut without getting an eye or both full of sawdust coming off the top of the blade.

Just because my Granddad did it and got away with it doesn't mean I have to do it the way he did. I saw my dad and granddad use a 1 Hp chain saw for the better part of two days with no ear protection or safety glasses, doesn't mean I won't wear mine when I trim a limb or two......

Ken Higginbotham
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
This reminds me of when my dad bought a new '64 Galaxie. 1st thing he did when he got it home was he removed the seat belts :p

Mike Foreman
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
A false sense of security with a radial arm saw?

If you think you're safety-conscious enough to get away with taking the safety guards off, you aren't safety-conscious enough to take the safety guards off.

Mike Foreman
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
This reminds me of when my dad bought a new '64 Galaxie. 1st thing he did when he got it home was he removed the seat belts :p
While yours is probably a better fit, it reminds me more of the guys going 75 MPH in a snowstorm because they "know how to drive in the snow."