PDA

View Full Version : Bowed Fence (Ridgid R4511)?

Tony Shea
12-13-2009, 7:54 PM
I recently bought a Ridgid R4511 granite top table saw from Home Dumpo as they were having the clearance sale on it for $100 off. I finally got this thing together today, no thanks to the instructions, and have an issue with my fence.

In the center of the fence I am getting a reading of .020" difference from the front and back end of the fence using my A-line-it tool. This measurement is .020" further away from the blade compared to front and back. This point in the fence is where the blade begins to make contact with the material. Therefore the back side of the blade is closer to the fence creating a binding situation if not a kickback situation. My question is, Is this measurement considered excessive to the point where I should take advantage of my lifetime warranty on this product? Seems to me that it is extremely excessive and really is a dangerous fault in production of this tool. There is no way to adjust this out of the fence other than making fence faces with shims. What would most of you do in this situation?

Chip Lindley
12-13-2009, 8:19 PM
IF the fence has a bow in the middle that cannot be adjusted out, by all means demand the fence be replaced under warranty. It's Brand New, after all! Any decent fence should be *straight* within a very few thousandths when compared to an accurate straight edge.

IF the fence has NO means of adjusting it parallel with the blade, I would return the whole saw. That is totally unacceptable.

Adam Strong
12-13-2009, 9:04 PM
If the fence is bowed, call RIDGID and they will replace it (good CS from my experience). Even without the LSA this is covered under the initial workmanship/materials part of the warranty.

The fence IS adjustable to align parallel with the blade and perpendicular to the table. The instructions are not much worse than any other offshore produced product (they worked fine for me). There are several assembly and set-up tutorials online and @ the RIDGID forums. The R4511 is not a bad product, it just requires a little more work than a higher end saw to get things humming. I own the saw, have no regrets, and would buy it again. You cannot find a better saw in that price range (especially with the discount). Any other questions you may have, I'd be glad to help. I use mine nearly everyday and have been thrilled with the performance for the price.

Joe Pierce
12-13-2009, 9:57 PM
I also have this saw, and love. You cannot find better in this price range!!

scott spencer
12-14-2009, 9:22 AM
You may find that you want to add faces anyway. It'd be very easy to shim it straight then.

glenn bradley
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I think the message is loud and clear and I will repeat it (especially with an aluminum fence). Get a straight one to start. Sacrificial fences will probably (almost definitely) be used. I use them enough to have a pre-made stack of them next to the saw. I wouldn't want to shim every time I changed one though so, let's try to start as straight as possible.

Adam Strong
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Very true, but if you can get a straight fence to start with (under warranty), you would be better off from the start.

Tony Shea
12-14-2009, 5:46 PM
Contacted Ridgid and have to bring my fence to a local Service Rep for inspection. I guess they have to as they just can't go by everyone's word or they'd be replacing every one that was bought.

The fence IS adjustable to align parallel with the blade and perpendicular to the table.

I do understand that it is adjustable and did everything in my power to adjust it parallel to my blade/miter slot. I have the A-line-it system to acheive these measurements. Other than the fence I believe to have everything as dead on as it can get, even at a 45* tilt. I was also shocked to see that my arbor runout is next to nothing, I couldn't even get the guage to come off zero what-so-ever! Very happy with that, as this was my biggest worry.

All I could do with the fence is get the front of it in line with back of the fence in reference to the blade/miter slot. With the middle off at around .020-.030". It's hard to see by the naked eye therefore am worried that the service guys will look at me like I'm crazy. Their definition of precision may not be the same as mine. I agree that I shouldn't have to shim my damn fence faces or sacrificial fence to begin with.

Adam Strong
12-14-2009, 8:32 PM
I do understand that it is adjustable and did everything in my power to adjust it parallel to my blade/miter slot.

My stating that was in reply to Chip's comment at the top of the thread. Glad you are happy with your saw thus far! Let us know what the Service Center says.

Jason White
12-15-2009, 4:58 PM
As I recall, that particular fence is designed to have faces mounted to it. If that's the case, just make some faces out of plywood or plastic and shim them flat when mounting to the aluminum fence (you sometimes have to do this on more expensive T-square type fences, anyway).

Jason

I recently bought a Ridgid R4511 granite top table saw from Home Dumpo as they were having the clearance sale on it for $100 off. I finally got this thing together today, no thanks to the instructions, and have an issue with my fence.

In the center of the fence I am getting a reading of .020" difference from the front and back end of the fence using my A-line-it tool. This measurement is .020" further away from the blade compared to front and back. This point in the fence is where the blade begins to make contact with the material. Therefore the back side of the blade is closer to the fence creating a binding situation if not a kickback situation. My question is, Is this measurement considered excessive to the point where I should take advantage of my lifetime warranty on this product? Seems to me that it is extremely excessive and really is a dangerous fault in production of this tool. There is no way to adjust this out of the fence other than making fence faces with shims. What would most of you do in this situation?

Tom Adger
12-16-2009, 9:09 AM
I bought a new Ridgid 3660 TS abt 10 months ago. I found that the long aluminum extrusion of the fence had a bow in it. I called Ridgid, and they first said I had to take it to a Service Center. When I told them that it was a 100mi round trip to the closest one, and I shouldn't have to do that, they promptly mailed me a new one, no charge, and it was dead flat.

Make sure that you have followed the registration process to the letter.