PDA

View Full Version : Makita 18v Lithium Battery Dead

Damon Marxer
12-13-2009, 7:19 PM
I own the Makita 18v Lithium and one of the batteries died in a couple of years. :(

Seems really quick for one of those batteries to die. The drill has been used but I would say in more of a hobbyist weekend warrior type and certainly not daily....and probably not even once every week or two. Has anyone else found a short life on the lithium battery who own this drill. I love the drill but am a little frustrated that I need to buy a new battery or have this one rebuilt. Unfortunately, I am not sure you can rebuild these batteries.:confused:

Leo Graywacz
12-13-2009, 7:35 PM
I figure a few year out of a battery is pretty good. How long do you expect them to last?

How was it treated. Always in the charger? Did you do high torques short term use? That heats up the battery and puts a strain on it.

None of my NiCads lasted more than about a year, but I use them every day, sometimes pretty hard. Now I have the White and Black Makita and I like it. Haven't had it for a year yet, so my batteries are still going strong.

Randy Rizzo
12-13-2009, 7:39 PM
Had the same problem with one of the Makita 18V batteries. When I went to Berlands (tool outlet in chicago area) I found out the replacement cost was $129.:mad: Left without replacing the battery.

Leo Graywacz
12-13-2009, 7:42 PM
Better Battery Prices (http://coastaltool.com/a/makita/makita_battery_li-ion.htm)

Randy Rizzo
12-13-2009, 8:08 PM
Thanks Leo, I did check the site and the battery I need (1834) was considerably less. And also noted this was not a Lithium, but a metal hydride. This was a reasonably new purchase but outside warranty consideration.

Leo Graywacz
12-13-2009, 8:33 PM
This is a local store for me. Great prices on most things. You can visit the brick and mortar store (in West Hartford, CT) and get the same great online prices.