PDA

View Full Version : Holiday nutcrackers

Bill Berg
12-13-2009, 7:00 PM
Hi folks. I'm not a heavy poster in general but this is my first post to the turners forum. I've seen quite a few of the people that I recognize on the flatwork side posting over here so I figured I'd show my latest project.

I try to make gifts for the ladies in the family each year for Christmas. It works out well because they are always well recieved and it's a welcome and timely break from a larger furniture project. I saw the FWW article by Fred Snead on this some time ago and this year it actually happened.

Making the toys was actually kind of fun but the painting and decoration turned into an exercize in patience. A far stretch from the art many of you produce, but here is this year's round of x-mas gifts...

Mike A. Smith
12-13-2009, 7:10 PM
Bill those look wonderful. My wife has a huge nutcracker collection and I had just promised her a turned one for next Christmas. I'll have to find that FWW article.

John Keeton
12-13-2009, 7:16 PM
Bill, those are fascinating! How tall are they? Are the arms hinged? That is some very nice work - and a great job of painting.

John Beaver
12-13-2009, 7:18 PM
Bill, Those are great.
It's on my long list of projects to try one day.
I'm not sure I have the painting skills to match your effort.
Well done!

David Christopher
12-13-2009, 7:25 PM
WOW, those look better than store bought

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2009, 7:36 PM
Wow Bill those are fantastic. Really well done.

Bill Berg
12-13-2009, 8:52 PM
John, They are about 15" tall. The arms articulate with dowels at the shoulder and upper arm, hinged at the elbow, and use a peice of elastic with a crude ball and socket joint at the hand.

Joe Adams
12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I saw the FWW article by Fred Snead on this some time ago and this year it actually happened.

I could not find this article through a Google search. If anyone has a copy or a link, I'd really appreciate it. My brother is an avid nutcracker collector and really wants to make one on our lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Bill - beautiful workmanship on these! Love the details! All of the ladies in your family are in for a treat this year and will be absolutely thrilled with their gifts!

Exceptionally nice work! Thanks for sharing! Hope to see more of your work real soon!

Billy Tallant
12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Great looking nutcrackers. The detail work is incredible. I can see why the painting stretched your patience. In the end it payed off though. I can definately see everyone definately happy to receive one of those as a gift.

Tom Giacomo
12-14-2009, 2:55 AM
Realy beautiful work Bill.

Norm Zax
12-14-2009, 5:00 AM
Great work and admirable patience!

Bruce Lundgren
12-14-2009, 7:03 AM
Joe: It's in the Nov/Dec. 1990 issue of FWW.
Bruce

Radek Kowalski
12-16-2009, 2:43 AM
Wow those look great! Anyone have an idea how to get this article, I was born several months before it was published. Thanks.

Rick Flink
12-16-2009, 3:50 AM
OH MY! Those are awesome!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

John Keeton
12-16-2009, 6:03 AM
Wow those look great! Anyone have an idea how to get this article, I was born several months before it was published. Thanks.Radek, I have several back issues, and I looked for that one. Had the one on either side, but not the one you need!?!? Sorry! It is issue 139.

Robert McGowen
12-16-2009, 6:32 AM
Those are very nicely done. A winner of a gift for whomever receives one!

Thom Sturgill
12-16-2009, 7:01 AM
Wow! some lucky ladies indeed.

Robert Parrish
12-16-2009, 7:22 AM
Joe, the FWW book "Lathes & Turning Techniques (Best of Fine Woodworking) (Paperback)" is available on Amazon for $10.85 I just ordered a copy. Maybe I can do one for next Christmas!

Bill Berg
12-16-2009, 9:14 AM
Radek, I purchased the book that Robert mentions. You could make them without the article but I feel it is well worth the $11 to have this in front of you while you are making them.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2009, 9:56 AM
Painting looks great-along with everything else! They looked familiar but it was only after I read Bruce's post that I realized why! I am as impressed now as I was then. Dug back through my cupboard and found the article. I have scanned the four pages. If someone here will tell me its ok to post them for you I will Radek.

Woops! Guess some of you guys gave him another choice!

Anyway, real nice job!