PDA

View Full Version : baseball bat question

curtis rosche
12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
i was asked to make a baseball bat. i know ash is the traditional wood for this, but would walnut or locust work? if not, will glueing up a blank for the bat be just as good? i have ash that is in 1x1 strips almost 6 ft long, i could glue them up, how well would this work?
thanks

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2009, 6:41 PM
If the bat will be used glue up won't work. It sure didn't work for my brother. He used 1 X 3's and glued 3 of them with Titebond. They were jointed and planed but after about the 3rd hit it seperated. I can't be certain how walnut would hold up. Locust might work ok.

alex carey
12-13-2009, 6:48 PM
I was told they use ash not just for the strength but because it will meet the right weight requirement. Not sure if its true, if it is then I assume anything known to be as strong as ash will work.

Gluing up definitely won't.

David Warkentin
12-13-2009, 6:59 PM
A friend told me that a bat was turned out of osage orange. Heavy enough but it was a dead bat. No flex? Might be something to think about. David

John Keeton
12-13-2009, 7:22 PM
One of the characteristics of ash is its tensile strength. I will bend where oak will snap. Hickory would be my second choice. Not sure on locust, but it might work.

John Beaver
12-13-2009, 7:23 PM
I would think Walnut would be too heavy and too stiff.
If you can't get Ash, you could also use Maple.

Hickory works well, but it's on the heavy side.

I'm sure there is lots of info on the internet as to weight and size specifications.

Steve Mellott
12-13-2009, 7:35 PM
Ash and maple are the two woods used in the major leagues. If you plan to use the bat, you cannot use a glue-up. It has to be a single piece of wood.

Steve