PDA

View Full Version : Never have too many...

Mike A. Smith
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
My brother and I have often talked about the things you can never have too much of in a shop. My usual picks are sand paper and clamps (and turning tools and wood and well.. everything really).

He doesn't turn much and his response is always hammers! I've never really understood, but in that spirit I made him a new wood mallet for Christmas. I don't think I've ever seen anyone make one of these before. The handle is cherry, the head is ash capped with maple. About 14.5" tall.

You can't tell from the pictures, but I did a bit of offset turning on the handle to 'oval' it for a better grip.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Pretty cool! I believe this is the first time I've seen a turned hammer! Your brother should love it!

Greg Just
12-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Never seen one of those before - nice job.

you can never have too much room in your shop!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2009, 6:43 PM
Very cool and a nice hammer. Well done.

Jim Kountz
12-13-2009, 7:22 PM
You know this fall I saw a guy at a craftshow who had some turned hammers though his handles were not oval, just round. I remember thinking that would be a cool project but totally forgot about it until now. Those are really cool hammers, nice job!!

Curt Fuller
12-13-2009, 9:52 PM
That is very cool, but way to nice to actually use. I would hang that on the wall in my house as 'art'.

Norm Zax
12-14-2009, 8:11 AM
Nice job! Two suggestions: either start making wooden nails or insert a metal rod in the center of the rod, to alllow for more weight and hitting capabilities.