PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Moto Shop Scroll Saw - Keep or Toss

Jeff Myer
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I recently picked up a Dremel Moto Shop Scroll Saw for $2.00 at a yard sale. This is an older unit with a place to attach a sanding wheel or a flexible shaft to the motor directly.

This is obviously a cheap hobbyist tool but I thought it would be good to do some fun projects with my son. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these.

If so, should I expect to be able to cut through 3/4" pine with it? The reason I ask is because, I did try the other night and it did not seem to be able to even start a cut. Should I just plan on getting some thin balsa sheet if I want to use this thing? Or should it be able to cut 3/4 pine?

Thanks!

John Shaffner
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Jeff,
This saw was my first scrollsaw that I got used in the early 80's. I was so excited that I could actually cut curves in wood instead of just the straight line I could do with my B&D table saw! I soon lost that excitement when I discovered the Dremel's limitations. Don't get me wrong, I made alot of stuff using it but, as soon as I could upgrade, I did. It served its' purpose by sparking the scrolling bug in me. I have since upgraded 4 times and gone through 6 scrollsaws before I got my DeWalt 788 a couple of yrs. ago. I say give it a shot and see if the boy's interest is there. Just make sure if it is, that your next saw is a variable speed and takes pinless blades. That'll make both of you happy campers.:D

John

PS: stick with thinner pine, balsa, or plywood...1/2" or less. It won't be as frustrating.

Jeff Myer
12-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the reply! I took some time with it today and took it completely apart to ensure that all of the pivot points/bushings were reasonably tight and that there were no obviously flawed. After a close inspection, cleaning and reassembly, I put a nice fresh blade in it and was able to cut in some 3/4" pine reasonably well.

In the end, I believe that the only differences between now and before the dis-assembly, inspection and reassembly are the fresh blade and real slow feed rates. I suspect it will do a reasonable job in thinner woods.

I will keep it for now!

Thanks Again!